1970s | Vintage Sewing

1970s Handkerchief Hippy Top

By on October 9, 2013

The last time I made this top I’d used a vintage polycotton bed sheet and it turned out to be disappointingly stiff and unflattering but this  emerald green sari silk (surplus from my military maxi waistcoat lining) turned out just right.

The 1976 pattern –  Simplicity 7569 – was fantastically easy to follow . View 2 only consists of  two pieces and it’s ready to wear in a couple of hours.

I’ll be raiding the Indian fabric stall on the market for more lightweight material, these tops will be perfect for my travels in India later this year.

Continue Reading

1970s | Dresses | Vintage Sewing

Vintage Paisley Print Halter Neck Maxi Dress

By on October 5, 2013

This 1970s Maudella pattern (5800) was a joy to make.  The instructions were really straightforward and it took just one (rainy) afternoon to make up.

I did cheat with the fastenings, the cross-over straps are supposed to have buttonholes but I’m never made any before so I cheated and used press studs – but if my talented sewing friend has time off soon I ‘ll ask for a tutorial and finish it off properly.

The groovy paisley print 1960s fabric was given to me.

Happily, we had a warm day yesterday so I was able to wear it.







Continue Reading


The 1969 Bell-Bottomed Pants Suit

By on September 25, 2013

I was lucky enough to find 6 yards of this psychedelic acetate in a charity shop on the same day I found the 1969  Simplicity pattern and according to the instructions, exactly the correct amount of fabric required for View 2 – my favourite outfit!

 Although too big I had a dressmaking friend on hand to talk me through sizing it down.

It was surprisingly easy to make,  I managed to finish it in an afternoon.

The Bakelite buttons were salvaged from a 1940s tea dress which had disintegrated over time.

I couldn’t resist recreating the hairstyle on the envelope, I think that bit was trickier than making the outfit!

Continue Reading

1970s | Vintage Sewing

My Barbie Doll Maxi Dress

By on August 9, 2013

I couldn’t wait to get home and get to work sewing this Barbie fabric I bought at the car boot sale.

There wasn’t quite enough fabric to lay the pattern pieces out properly so I had to improvise and the print doesn’t match as well as I’d like it to it have done.

The 1970 Woman “Easy Make” pattern was anything but.  The instructions weren’t particularly clear to follow and I broke my last needle before I could attach the trim so I’ll have to do that at a later date.  The 32″ bust should have been perfect size-wise but it turned out to be very loose hence the belt. Hopefully the crazy fabric distracts from the imperfections.

Continue Reading

1960s | Jumpsuits / Pantdresses | Rompers / Playsuits | Vintage Sewing

A Psychedelic Playsuit

By on August 4, 2013

As soon as I received this groovy 1960s psychedelic nylon in a package from a dear blogging friend I knew it would be the perfect for making up into a festival playsuit (or “pantdress”, as it’s called on the pattern envelope).

The 1967 pattern is a MacCall’s 8978- a gift from another generous blogging friend.  It fastens at the back with a metal zip I’d rescued from a ruined dress I’d bought from a jumble sale.

Although I did make the pockets I wasn’t keen on how they looked once they were attached so I promptly unpicked them and relegated them to the patchwork pile.

The playsuit got it’s first outing at Glastonbury 2013 on the only wet night, worn under a 1960s white fake fur coat with my trusty vintage high heeled wellies.

Continue Reading

1960s | 1970s | Made from Curtains | Vintage Sewing

The Military Maxi Waistcoat

By on June 19, 2013

My brother was going to throw these military curtains away. They’d be hanging in his bedroom in our parental home since he was born in 1968.

I knew they’d be the perfect bold print I needed for the 1970’s Butterick 5597 waistcoat pattern.

Lined with emerald green Indian sari silk and some vintage frog fastenings donated by a friend I can’t wait to wear this at Glastonbury.


Continue Reading

1960s | Vintage Sewing

1960s Culotte Suit With Vintage Curtains

By on April 29, 2013

I caught the sewing bug four years ago and never looked back. Entirely self-taught I regularly trawl charity shops, flea markets, car boot sales and jumbles for vintage 1960s and 1970s patterns, notions, fabrics and thread. To this day I’ve yet to buy anything new.

This culotte suit suit was made following a 1960s Le-Roy pattern sent to me by a blogging friend and the groovy sunflower screen-print curtains by Francis Price were found in a neighbour’s loft. I couldn’t decide which buttons from my stash to use so I had a go at covering my own.

I was surprised how simple this pattern was to make. It took a few hours sewing over a quiet weekend and I’m seriously tempted to knock up a couple more if I can find suitably bright and funky curtains.

Continue Reading