1950s | Dresses | Vintage Sewing

Pink Lace Sultry Sheath

By on September 4, 2013

Have not commented or posted for a while but I’m keeping an eye on what is posted and must say that I feel very inspired by the work shown here. Anyway, thought I´d share my latest vintage style sewing with you. I made a version of the sultry sheath dress from Gerties new book for better sewing to wear at my sisters wedding. Its the first lace dress for me and I love how it turned out. The location is the island Hållö in Bohuslän, Sweden and it was such a beautiful day!

Continue Reading

1910s | Dress Forms | Vintage Sewing

An Edwardian Mannequin

By on December 9, 2012

This is not a new project but I’m planning on making a new one for decoration so I’m trying to recall what I learned from the last one.

I bought this Edwardian dummy pattern at Atelier Sylphe Corsets. The pattern is very precise and comes together without tweaking. For me, the instructions were enough but I wont recommend this for a beginner. The fabric is thick cotton twill, upholstery fabrics probably works the best. I recommend lining the neck, arm and bottom plates with cardboard for a clean look. I filled my dummy with polyester filling which worked OK but the material is to lightweight and it took ridiculous amounts of filling to get an even shape. There is a reason people used straw or sawdust originally. Next time Ill try something else. Over all this is a nice looking, unusual pattern.

Here it is again with a corset on. My first try on an Edwardian S-shape from a free pattern. The pattern was published in various home sewing books the years around 1910. This is a quickly made, single layer corset with only six bones on each side so its not very supportive but works well for testing the fit. The Corset is made for me so its a bit big for the dummy.

Continue Reading

1970s | Dresses

Burda dress from 1976

By on June 7, 2012

I rarely use my 70s dresses but still love the style. The pattern for this dress is from Burda Moden July 1976 and the fabric is a soft polyester with machine embroidery and glued on metal dots bought by my mom in Abu Dhabi. I used the pattern as a base and draped the top of the dress after it before cutting. I didn’t want to waist any of the embroidery. The skirt is twice as wide as the pattern to get volume and so that I can walk with my normal stride. My amusement comes from my hopeless attempts posing, sorry for that.

Continue Reading

1950s | Pants / Trousers

The 50s Jeanies

By on May 30, 2012

Hi all, this is my first post here. During the spring I have wished for a pair of Freddies of Pinewood jeans but haven’t dared to buy them. Been afraid that the high waist and old fashioned shape would not fit me. So what to do? Decided to try sewing a pair 50s jeans. Found a suitable pattern for narrow 50s-style pants in the book, Vi tonåringar syr själva (We teenagers sew ourselves) by Karin Hedberg published in 1959.

When tracing the pattern I was surprised how strange the pieces looked, it reminded more of  jodhpurs than sports pants. Had to hit myself over the fingers not to alter the shape before testing it. The pants toile fitted me nearly perfect and after only a few changes, they where comfortably and looked just like the ones found googling ”1950s pedalpushers”. They are narrow but quite wide across thighs so there is plenty of room to move around. Did some research and found that there are a variety of ways to solve the closing.  First I tested the books suggestion on a pair of shorts while I was working on the fit. It looked OK as long as I didn’t sit down. I have tried to translate the instructions but its impossible to make any sense of it.

Studied further and found nice pictures of the sipper closure for a pair of Blue Bell Jeanies from the 50s that I decided to copy instead. The sipper runs diagonally inside the left pocket just visible from the side. Made the mistake of using a short sipper so they are hard to squeeze into. That will be corrected in the next pair. The fabric I made them up in is thin 100% cotton slightly lilac denim. The blouse is Taffy from Colette Sewing Handbook made in vintage 1970s cotton crepe. These were definitely worth making, the next project is a pair of summer shorts from the same pattern.

Continue Reading