Hello, everyone! I just discovered this community and though it would be fun to show off my latest project here!
I only started sewing my own clothing last year, and while I’ve drafted a few skirts here and there, dresses had always made me feel very, very nervous, so this is my first attempt at sewing a dress. Hopefully not the last!
This teapot-printed linen was bought from a Spotlight store in Australia in the upholstery section (of all places) and the bridal satin for the collar was from a local liquidation store. The buttons are hand-made, covered with scraps of satin and the kits are from Daiso Japan. Altogether, I think this project cost me around $25 or so. The pattern cost me next to nothing, which is how I ended up going on a crazy pattern buying spree on boxing day. You can find the pattern here (on sale!) at Butterick.
I was especially excited about the pattern-matching I managed to pull off. It chewed up fabric like nobody’s business, but from a distance, the side seams are almost invisible. (I never would have believed it, but my hips are exactly 6 teapots wide.)
Alterations I made to the pattern include adding an extra few pleats in the front to make the waist smaller, and adding on belt loops. Still haven’t decided whether I want to add some cute teapot pockets on, but suffice to say, after almost a week’s worth of work, I think I’m pretty done, haha.
All in all, 10/10, would make this dress again! You can find more pictures of this dress, as well as a few other sewing projects I’ve completed recently, on my blog.
Thank you for reading,