1950s | Vintage Sewing

1950’s floral dress

July 9, 2013

Hi everyone!  I recently bought this pattern and decided to give it a go in a cotton fabric I’ve had in my stash for several years.  I bought the fabric in a 2nd hand shop for the grand price of £1.  This pattern is for a 36″ bust and I’m a 34″ bust so I had to alter the size a bit.  I also needed to add 2″ to the waist measurements.

The waist fits me lovely but unfortunately even with my adjustments the top half of the dress just didn’t fit right at all.  The back was OK but the front just hung on me and you couldn’t see my bust at all!  🙁   What I did was stand in the mirror with my pins and I pinned the front whilst it was on me.  Instead of the gathered darts I altered it to have a curve right across the front but still keeping the gathers over my bust.  I took over an inch of fabric vertically from the front of the dress.  It fits me so much better and now the shape of my boobies can be seen!

I used some vintage mother of pearl buttons from my stash.  I like the fact that they are quite big.

On this photo you can just about see where I made the curve to fit.

I’m happy with this dress.  I wore it last weekend to my partners parents and his mum commented on how summery I looked 🙂




  1. Lovely dress – you have excelled yet again. Dad & I are very proud of you and all your creative talents….

  2. This is sooo pretty and you would never know from looking at it on you now that you had any fit issues at all! That fabric is unbelievably gorgeous!! What a bargain! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.