1960s | Dresses | Made from Curtains | Vintage Sewing

The Bliss of Mrs Blossom

June 10, 2013
I picked up this vintage fabric from Fabric-a-brac (blogged here) and I knew it had to become a dress! The fabric is good enough that I could have even made a jacket – but alas there was only 2 meters!

It has the biggest purple and pink blossoms and another fleur de lis (?) kinda print – I’m not sure what this might be called – let me know in the comments if you do!
The fabric could well have been a curtain off cut so it’s pretty warm and so I’m able to wear it around without a cardigan.
The pattern I used was Simplicity 7436. An a-line tent dress with V shaped yoke and front patch pockets. The V at the front is supposed to be created in 3 parts – but I wanted to make it in 2 pieces so that the pattern was continuous. It worked out but the point of the V went a little funny and so I ended up with a teeny little pleat to make it look ok. 

I also added long sleeves from another pattern as this one is obviously for summer as it only includes short ones

Pinking the raw edges
Teeny stitches on the pockets


These photos were taken at the Blog Society Launch on the top of the Sydney Museum of Contemporary Art by Annette Wilson – who is an actual photographer but was kind enough to take these pics for me. 

Head over to my blog for more 60s delights

Cat xo
  1. That fabric is awesome and the whole thing looks so authentic. It reminds me of BIBA. I am glad you kept it simple as the fabric is the real star.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.