1960s | Dresses | Vintage Sewing

Le-Roy 5063 Shirtdress

July 25, 2012

A while ago I bought some great printed cotton from Abakhan Fabrics in Manchester, where you can pick up some great off cuts by the kilo.

It’s been sitting around in a pile of fabric since February, while I worked out what to do with it. Then I found this pattern in my hoard:

I’ve always liked shirt dresses, and I thought the combination of this design and the great print would make a cute summer dress.

I gave the fabric a quick wash (don’t want any shrinking!) and did a few adjustments to the size, as my bust is larger than the pattern measurement. I also decided to add a few details of my own in the form of a black contrasting collar, and a little black cuff on the sleeve.

Here’s the finished article:

The dress was pretty straight forward to put together, and the adjustments I made worked well, resulting in a pretty good fit.

Here are some details:

Close up of the cuffs


I lined the skirt with a light cotton, and hand stitched it around the button placket

And that’s that!

See you soon!

  1. This is adorable. Your version with the contrasting cuffs and collar is so much nicer than the illustration on the pattern envelope. I love it!

  2. Wow!! As we say in France : c’est une tuerie!! (litterlaly “this is a slaughter”, which means that this is really really beautiful 😀 )

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.