50’s Striped Chevron Dress

July 7, 2012

This dress was made from a re-released vintage Butterick pattern (#5605). I used a white and kelly green stripe cotton and wanted to play with the placement of the stripes. I made a chevron at the bust, placed stripes horizontally on the side gussets and tried to run the stripes vertically on the circle skirt, which resulted in some more chevrons.

I love vintage patterns but sometimes it’s fun to make them a little more modern by modifiying them. I shortened the sleeves and skirt and adding a matching exposed zipper. It doesn’t read as a 50’s design to me anymore but I like the result. I don’t think I love anything I’ve ever made as much as I love this dress. It’s so perfect for the summer and I feel like magic happens whenever I wear it.

This dress was a challenge to assemble – I have more info, photos and links of the resources I used to make it at my blog here.


  1. Beautiful job using the stripes! And even though I’m usually a purist about keeping the styling original to the period, I love how you updated this to make it modern. Really impressed. Lovely job!

  2. Oh my gosh I LOVE this dress.
    You have done an amazing job with the stripes. I think I want to steal the idea for a project I have in mind for Butterick 4919 repro pattern. And the exposed zip is a fab idea to make the style a bit more modern. Well done!

  3. Thank you guys! I’m blushing like a beet. As for the stripes – it was actually way easier than I thought to line them all up properly, just a little more time consuming. Not half as annoying as trying to match patterns when the repeat isn’t as often.

Leave a Reply to Foster Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.