1940s | Swimwear / Sunwear

1940’s Swim Suit Project

June 4, 2012

Hello Sew Retro-ers,

It has been waaaay too long since I last posted on Sew Retro.  In fact, last time I posted it was at the old site!

I began working on this swim suit about two months ago.  It is currently at a standstill, because shortly after I started the project I found out that I was expecting and started feeling rather exhausted and queasy (woo-hoo!).  However I am excited to pick this back up now that I am feeling better.

The sewing pattern is Simplicity 1612, which dates back to the mid-1940’s.

I actually have everything together now.  The only thing left to do is finish hand-sewing the eyelets into the side tabs of the front and back bottoms.  I love hand working eyelets and buttonholes, but boy, it sure does take awhile!  So far I have one tab done.  That leaves 27 more eyelets to stitch.

When I began this project, I had no idea that I was pregnant.  I think I might still be able to swing this, though, as the bottom front is extremely ruched and is accented by a band of elastic cased in the middle.  This might work with my smallish baby bump this summer.  It just might.

The suit was really easy to put together.  I love the criss-crossed back straps.  Oh yeah, I still need to put some buttons on the top…

You can see some more pictures at my blog. 🙂


  1. What type of fabric did you use. I find if you use traditional bathing suit fabric it can be very frustrating. Maybe because I’ve only been sewing for a couple years but, the rolling!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.