Vintage Sewing

Making Pretty Dresses…

February 25, 2012

I’ve been in a sewing mood lately, it’s been nice and very productive – I finished this dress about a week ago and have already started on my next.

26th Feb 2012 7

26th Feb 2012 3

26th Feb 2012

I made this dress from a Japanese cotton lawn I bought in October-ish last year. I lined it fully with a white vintage cotton I had in my stash due to the lightness of the lawn – to give it more structure and so that I wouldn’t have to wear a slip underneath for modesty’s sake if I didn’t want to.

I made a few small changes to the pattern – I lined the sleeves with self-made bias binding instead of the facing the pattern came with, moved the side zip to the back (I have issues with side zips for some reason, they always come out bulky) and because there was no way I’d have enough fabric for the circle skirt called for, I used 1inch pleats on the skirt instead.

I loved making this dress and am already planning my next. I’m going to make the v neck a little wider at the shoulders and a little deeper – perhaps a little something like this…




Pretty Little Pictures

  1. I’m not sure my comment went through! So I’ll say again – the dress is GREAT – the colours work so well with you skin (like A.J.A said).

    And I agree about the side-zip thing. I avoid them as much as possible. They annoying to put in and annoying to wear. If I MUST have a side closure, I use snaps instead with a hook and eye at the waist seam. 😀 No more time consuming than a hand-picked zipper and it sits nicer because it doesn’t bunch like a zipper does.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.