Vintage Sewing

Another Skirt – Not So Fast and Easy

February 4, 2011

I am a little ahead of schedule on my one skirt per month.  I have finished my skirt for February –  McCall 8086 from 1950.

Front McCall 8086
This skirt is made in a heavy dark brown twill.  I used a vinegar/water solution to set the pleats.  Speaking of pleats, I had a hard time figuring out the instructions on how to make these pleats.  Multiple degrees and I still have a hard time deciphering pattern instructions.  If you would like to learn more about the sewing process on this skirt and for many more pictures, check out my blog.
I had to make changes to the length of the pleats.  Being a shorty, I never considered the length of the pleats before trying on the skirt.  Ugh, they ended in an unattractive place.  A few minutes with the seam ripper solved that problem.  Zipper is centered again.  It was a little more problematic than usual for a centered zipper due to operator error – I moved the pins without thinking.

Leave a Reply to tammyO. Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.