Vintage Sewing

50% Simplicity 6138, 50% Original Creation

May 27, 2009

That’s what I am calling this one. I originally wanted to make this pattern:
What attracted me to it was View 1, with the lovely gorgeous wide neckline and bias roll collar.
But me being me, I certainly couldn’t stick to the standard offerings. No. I had to make this out of two way stretch knit polyester (and View 4 is for Two Way Stretch Knits!), so I opted to use the bodice from view 4 with the collar from view 1.

No big deal…except, the pattern was a size 12/32 bust and I am more like a 7/8 Junior Petite/30 bust. I tried my first major attempt at resizing a pattern. I checked my own measurements and then reduced the pattern, but I messed up somewhere. I graded everything down and the bodice fit PERFECTLY…that is, until I added a sleeve, and it suddenly fit more like a straight jacket. Raising one’s arm was no longer an option (heck, I could barely get my arm in the sleeve).

So, I opted for sleeveless. I finished the arm holes with bias tape. I also had some issues with my math skills and the length of the bodice was too short…hence the additional panel added to the bottom, also finished in bias tape (this is why I am considering this a 50% original creation…no designer would actually do what I did to this and try to pass it off as a legitimate design).

The fabric was an olive green stretch polyester from the remnant bin, there was only 1 yard and it was $1, so I am considering this my “wearable muslin” and I will probably try this again…with sleeves…after I check my math and add some length and width back into this puppy.

More photos on the blog.

  1. I think you did an excellent job! Grading patterns up and down is a major pain sometimes. It looks like you came out of this relatively unscathed! Go You!

Leave a Reply to Kristy Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.