Rayon is perhaps my favorite fabric to sew with! Love it! And it’s absolutely perfect for 40s dresses!
When I saw this fabulous tropical printed rayon in the garment district in LA, I knew it had to be a 40s tiki dress! And I promptly bought 7 yds. lol.
I used Eva Dress 3863 from 1943. It’s a daring wrap dress and it’s available as a multisize pattern!
I did view 2! It turned out so lovely!
I really love this fabric! More photos and construction details over on the blog!
P.S. These photos are from a modeling shoot with a professional so that’s why there’s watermarks.
This pattern has been sitting in my pattern stash for at least a year (probably longer). I fell in love with the violet dress on the front as soon as I saw it, but the only problem was that I just couldn’t seem to find the right coloured fabric! It needed to be a violet wrap dress. No other colour would do. Needless to say, I found the right fabric a few weeks ago, but guess what? It’s actually cotton quilt backing! I know, I’m such a rebel.
The best thing about buying quilt backing for a project? You get twice the amount of fabric for the same price because it’s folded over double on the bolt. You really can’t lose folks.
While the dress itself was relatively simple to make up, I spent so much time on hand sewing I could cry. I really really didn’t want to lose the clean lines down the front of the dress by top stitching my facings in place by machine, and so I did it all by hand. If I didn’t know how to do an invisible hand stitch before, I sure do now. But just look at that hand stitching! Oh wait, you can’t…
I also added some purple hem lace to the front line of the skirt. This was actually lace left over from our wedding and I still have a bunch of it in all sorts of happy colours. I really love the result and think my next few garments will probably all have lace detailing of some kind on them.
Last but not least, I swapped out the arm facings for bias binding. I have a tutorial on how to make your own bias binding here and will have a tutorial on replacing arm facings with bias binding on my blog on Friday!
A little bit more on my blog here
When I was putting together my Spring/Summer plan involving this dress, I mistakenly referred to it as the Leopard Wrap Dress. Except it’s cheetah print, and the dress is a mock wrap! MY BAD.
Whatever, I like it anyway
I used Simplicity 6268, which I believe is from the 70s (don’t have the envelope in front of me and I can’t find a copy online, so if anyone knows the exact date, please let me know!). The fabric is some class of poly – very drapey and does not wrinkle at all! It was given to me by my best friend’s grandmother after she cleaned out her sewing room – for all I know, it may be vintage as well
I did not make any adjustments – the bust had enough ease so it fit fine. I did change the way the ties go on – instead of sewing 2 at the sides to tie in the back, I sewed them together to make one long tie and did not attach it to the dress. I think tying it in the front makes it look more like a wrap dress, plus, I can wear it with other belts if I feel so inclined
Proof it’s not a wrap dress – there’s a zipper!
I am really happy with how this dress turned out – really comfortable and fun to wear, and the pattern was super fast to make up! I think it’ll be a great transitional piece for upcoming seasons
As always, more info & pictures at my blog, lladybird.
Thanks for looking!