1940s | 1950s | Dresses | Vintage Sewing

Significant birthday dress

By on January 2, 2017
weldon 3833

ooobop party dress

This is the dress I made for my significant birthday party in December. Inspired by a Dior dress I saw in a magazine which I could never hope to create but which kickstarted the need for a puffball skirt. It’s a full circle plus 16 extra inches around the waist for four box pleats, two at the front and two at the back. The hem is all gathered up into a mini a-line underskirt, both of which are attached to the bodice at the waist seam.

ooobop in the woods

The bodice is from a vintage Weldons pattern, undated but I’m assuming late 40s, early 50s. Just by nature of the really basic instructions and the hair do on the illustrated cover!

weldon 3833

I used a black and red, two-tone dupion silk which was a dream to work with. And I sewed cockerel feathers to the yoke, just because!

ooobop party dress back

 

More details and photos over at ooobop!

Continue Reading

1940s | 1950s

Presto Pjs

By on October 14, 2014

 

PJ cutting layout- shows how F. & B. pants pieces are almost identical & the continuos placket
VV Weldons pattern pjs
The modern make and Weldons pattern cover

Take a late 40’s or early 50s Weldons pj pattern add a fun flamingo cotton border print bought yesterday and hey presto- pjs. It’s an unprinted pattern but the original seamstress very helpfully pencil labeled each pattern piece. I joined the two pants pattern pieces together down the sides so there is no side seam on my version… but as the top of the pants has pleats and a tailored waistband I still had to make a slash placket on the left hip to get them on and off. I also left 2 of the back pleats unpleated, which gave me about 3 inches extra in the waist. I cut a longer waistband and slotted in a bit of elastic into the centre back to create some ‘give’. I had bought  2 and a half metres of fabric with no particular usage in mind but looking through my pattern stash this one seemed perfect.  Unfortunately the fabric was only 45″ wide and so I had to lose 3″ off the length of the top to fit all the pieces in. The crotch is very low and almost comes to a point rather than the scooped out shape modern trousers have. However this makes them seem really comfy. I still need to add buttons and buttonholes and will be sleep testing properly tonight. But so far I’d say I will definitely be using this pattern again- easy to wear, uncomplicated to make- a relaxing project for a change.

Continue Reading