Hello everybody !
Here it is : my frist project with a vintage pattern. Dealing with Vogue V8850…
More pictures (and a little tip for the belt) and full blogpost here : http://sundayafternoon.canalblog.com/archives/2014/04/21/29709577.html
A couple of years ago, I found an amazing vintage Mens’ robe pattern on Etsy and fell in love. I snapped it up, ordered some gorgeous rayon fabric and some ultra-soft micro fleece to line it with. When the pattern arrived I was so excited… and then somehow I never made it. You know how it is, projects pile up, work gets too busy and then before you know it, it’s two years later – no robe.
So this year I was determined to sew it for my husband for Christmas, and I was determined that he wouldn’t even know I was sewing something for him. In the middle of finals project and a really busy month at Mrs. Depew Vintage I was sewing this robe like a crazy person. And let me tell you, lining rayon with micro fleece is about as easy as getting a puppy to hold still during a cat parade.
I sewed between assignments and studying, before and after work, at midnight while he was working night shifts (gotta love the military) and every time my husband rode his motorcycle into the driveway I madly dashed to stash everything into my studio closet and delint the threads from my clothes to hide any evidence of my undertaking.
Vogue 8753 Robe Front
Vogue 8753 Robe Lining.
Vogue 8753 Robe Cuff Embroidery
The work paid off though and it came out perfect - and he loves it!
If you’d like to see more pictures (I didn’t want to bore you with too much) you can read the full post on my blog A Few Threads Loose.
This was a last-minute, impulse project – that’s the only way I sew anything for myself, to be honest. The pattern is Vogue 9059 – one of my favorite Vogues of all time. It took me the better part of two years to find it in my size for a price I could afford – I ended up getting it for under $25, yay! Even better, the fabric for this dress was totally free. My sister found a bolt of this gorgeous Ralph Lauren tartan sateen home dec fabric at a thrift shop and bought the whole thing. She’s made a few projects for herself and she also cut off a generous dress-sized hunk for me. Everything else, from the velvet to the zipper to the vintage belt buckle, was scrounged from my stash. (Know what this means? It means I get to buy some more fabric.)
My first thought was that the elegant yoke bands should be a contrast fabric – maybe solid white. However, as you can see from the line drawing, the bands end at the shoulder seam; using a contrast color would have caused awkwardness there. (Design elements that end abruptly at a side seam = my absolute biggest fashion pet peeve. Remember all those awful Nineties blouses with the vest attached on the front only?)
So the yoke bands were plaid, but I eliminated the button overlap and cut them in one piece so they wouldn’t be too busy. Totally unintentionally, the plaid on the top and middle bands matched perfectly. Nice! The bottom band didn’t match and I needed something there to break up the yoke seam, so I cut the bottom band out of some black cotton velvet instead. (The bottom band doesn’t reach the shoulder seam – as you can see, it peters out around the high bust area.)
This pattern wasn’t really intended for a plaid – I don’t think it was intended for a print material at all, actually – so I knew I was going to have to fudge it on the skirt. So I decided to worry about matching the plaids on the skirt front seam only and let the others fall as they may. This was my first attempt at matching plaids, and I was clearly affected with some sort of beginners’ luck, as it came out pretty good. We just won’t even talk about the other skirt seams, particularly on the zipper side!
And here is the dress in action on Christmas morning, complete with red lipstick and pearls and my new chiffon petticoat!
This is my second version of this 50′s pattern.I really love the shape of the bodice, the naked back, and all these gorgeous hollow pleats!
My first version was in a printed cotton and metal buttons. I made it for the wedding of my best friend. (Seen here). I wanted a new version easier to wear in every-day life, and correct the few problems with the first version.
I cut it in June and only sew it this September!
I made it with denim-color linen, lined on the bodice with a blue cotton. There were some plastic button.
More details on my blog: http://swingandsew.blogspot.fr/2013/10/vogue-is-back.html
Sorry it is in French, but if you have any question I can answer in English