vintage sheet

 

Hi again! I just wanted to share this dress I made last week. If you couldn’t tell, I made it from a vintage sheet.  The pattern I used is shown below, Advance 9209. The pattern is actually for a pinafore to be worn over a nightgown, so I made a few little tweaks to make it work as a sundress- adding more buttons and making the pockets a little smaller.

I made my own bias tape for the first time for the project and I’m amazed at how easy it actually is! I also learned how to use my sewing machine’s buttonhole foot for the first time (embarrassingly, I’ve had it for like 8 years!) and I think it just changed my life!

I have more pictures and info over on my blog, Scavenger Hunt, if you’d like to pop over and take a look!

-Melissa

{ 6 comments }

When I’ve posted on We Sew Retro before, it’s been about things I’ve made using a vintage pattern. Today though, it’s all about a 60s or 70s flower power sheet I came across a while back. It’s been sitting patiently in my stash waiting for the perfect pattern to come along and sweep it off its proverbial feet. Thank goodness  Tilly’s Miette Skirt came along, because these two were made for each other!

Despite being modern, Tilly’s pattern definitely has a retro vibe to it, especially if you choose your fabric wisely. Best of all, this pattern is an absolute breeze to make…not a zip or button in sight, just easy wraparound ties!

I particularly love how happy this skirt makes me feel and the bright yellow flowers are far enough away from my face not to wash me out.

I’ll leave you with a couple more photos, but there’s more information (as well as an important sewing lesson) over at my blog – A Stitching Odyssey.

{ 10 comments }