velvet

 

So, I found this amazing pattern for a smoking jacket from 1951, Butterick 1769. Despite being neither a smoker nor an idle rich guy from a Hollywood melodrama, my Husband decided he needed one in classic satin and quilted velvet. He accompanied me to the fabric store on a Saturday (an event never to be repeated), where he picked out this gorgeous Asian style brocade. We splurged and bought the fancy dress velvet to do the collar and cuffs. I made up a muslin sample, which actually fit him pretty good. I just needed to shorten the sleeves and he decided he would prefer a belt to buttons, so I drafted one. This is where the fun ensued. Slick satin just refuses to be sewn, especially when you are trying to meaningfully join it to any type of napped fabric. Sheer hell. Puckering. I ended up using tissue paper between the layers, which helped some, but not enough. I had to hand baste the batting to the velvet to do the quilting, which took forever and isn’t totally even. The piping was a pain, and in retrospect I should have used a finer weight cording. To top it off, I forgot to cut the back pleat into the lining, which I didn’t discover until I handed the jacket to my Husband to try on. I had to buy more fabric to recut it. Despite the hellacious and neverending trouble this pattern gave me, I still think it turned out pretty good. My Husband likes to strut around the house with a martini while wearing it, so mission accomplished. The moral of the story is that choice of fabric and finish details can make a BIG difference in your work load!

 

 

{ 11 comments }

Very excited to post and share my very first attempt at a classic vintage holiday dress!

I have not yet been sewing a full year and have not yet had any lessons, but have had so much fun playing around with vintage and vintage-inspired patterns, and experimenting with different fabrics and designs.

This dress is a mash-up of Simplicity 3045, (a lovely vintage dress pattern with a softly pleated skirt and scalloped neck edge), and my favourite Sewaholic Cambie dress bodice.

I decided to use the Cambie dress bodice pattern rather than the one for Simplicity 3045 as it gives a very snug and flattering fit on my torso with minimal adjustments. (I have at least 10 dresses using the Cambie pattern for this very reason. It’s a sure-fire winner for me!)

Using a bargain bin red velvet remnant (NEVER again- what a mess to sew with! So slippery. Any hints?) and a sweet vintage-inspired holiday fabric from Etsy, this dress turned out quite well I think. I added a pretty vintage brooch and thick black “Santa” belt to complete my festive ensemble.

(As I was sewing it, I also listened to Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas” album a million times, so it’s very likely that added some extra holiday flair!)
Hope you like it!

{ 7 comments }

ooobop! Lucky Hat

by ooobop on October 28, 2012 · 6 comments

in Hats,Vintage Sewing

ooobop lucky hat

Self-drafted hat, using cotton velvet from stash, fully lined with poly lining and decorated with a ‘yoyo’ ¬†of self fabric with a central statement button. The ‘Lucky’ button was found in a biscuit tin by my daughter, at a vintage fair we attended last year.

lucky button

I’m so glad it found a special home!

ooobop lucky hat

And I’m so glad I have now got a hat that actually fits my big head… and keeps my ears toastie!

I’m hoping this hat will work for both modern and vintage ensembles. Though I might just have to make a few more in different colours!

It really only took a couple of hours, including the hand stitching and decoration.

More details over at ooobop!

{ 6 comments }