1940s

New from old…

By on June 16, 2012

Hello all, I have just finished a little 1940s dress for my lovely daughter who has just taken up ‘Swing’ dancing andĀ I must say loving it…she’s like a duck to water šŸ™‚

the original dress was found in a charity shop in london , the shop originally wanted Ā£25 for it , but it was in such poor condition I persuaded them to sell it to me for Ā£5 and planned to use it as a pattern.

IĀ put it to one side and then came across two pairs of grey polka dot pillow slips in a sale.

I thought these would fit in great with a ‘make do and mend’ theme.

four pillow slips unpicked and washed on a hot wash was just enough and to keep the original dress aliveĀ I used part of it for trim.

IĀ adjusted the dress pattern very slightly by putting a centre back zip in (I used a peach invisible one , not vintage this time)

I used both fabrics Ā to create a tie back belt instead on the covered buckle one on the original which hung too heavy on the fabric.

(opps, sorry forgot to turn piccie)

I alsoĀ added an underarm gusset for movement while dancing …thisĀ I feel is the weakest point on a fitted dress

and some shirring at the front shoulder as my daughter has a good size bust and without (as in the original) it looked bulky.

I turned the hem up to the regulation war timeĀ  19″ from the ground šŸ™‚ and used original fabric cut on the bias to finish it of…

I must say my daughter and I am very pleased with the result , especially as a chap she met a a dance weekend said her dress was beautiful and

looked like it was made for her…well it was !! :))

Maxine all ready for the dance with original 1940s brouges and victory rolls by me…

hope you enjoy my post as much as I enjoy all of yours. Mrs Bee

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading