swing dress

Hi All!

I’ve finished another sewing project! This one is a mid 1940s day dress. I knew the pattern would be a touch large for me, but I went ahead and made it up anyway without making any alterations. And guess what? Yup, it was a little too big! Well, actually it’s quiet wearable but a bit too roomy in the bust area for me. And that’s perfectly OK because I’m hoping this dress will work for someone else.

The dress is made from a red and white striped cotton that is light and slightly springy. It’s machine sewn but the neck, sleeves, and hem I finished all by hand. The fabric really drapes and moves beautifully so I think this would be perfect for swing dancing! I believe it’s a cotton/rayon or cotton/nylon blend. It was a left over piece from my fabric stash so I’m not really sure.

The neckline has a great key-hole detail and closes with a hidden hook and eye. There is also a zipper on the left side. I did not add the bow at the neck as shown in the pattern but that can be added in a jiffy! I added a black bow belt for contrast in the pictures, which sadly are a little washed out. I soooo need a new camera! The fabric is really a nice bright red in person. This dress is listed on Etsy if anyone is interested. I also have a few more pictures on my blog.

{ 3 comments }

Hi guys  I have been wanting to share this one with you for a while …. a 1940s  party dress for my daughter to swing in

an original 1940s pattern made up in a  green polyester crepe

made up exactly as pattern stated, just shortened the pattern pieces for petite frame…..after pinking the seams I realised that the fabric frayed too much so I had to bind all the seams of with ‘Hug Snug’  Rayon seam binding …I love this stuff and can only get it online from the states.

I also finished the waistband and shoulders with some lining to cover all the raw edges at these points.

then I used a concealed side zip after realising that a metal one sewn in with the vintage method interfered with the pockets and covered buttons and loops for the back opening.

a crochet snood and little velvet flowers in her hair and she is all ready for the dance

this dress could be embellished on the yolk and waistband and can be dressed up or down

would look fab with big jewellery but you can’t dance in that I’ve been told :)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

{ 7 comments }

New from old…

by mrsbeevintage on June 16, 2012 · 6 comments

in 1940s

Hello all, I have just finished a little 1940s dress for my lovely daughter who has just taken up ‘Swing’ dancing and I must say loving it…she’s like a duck to water :)

the original dress was found in a charity shop in london , the shop originally wanted £25 for it , but it was in such poor condition I persuaded them to sell it to me for £5 and planned to use it as a pattern.

I put it to one side and then came across two pairs of grey polka dot pillow slips in a sale.

I thought these would fit in great with a ‘make do and mend’ theme.

four pillow slips unpicked and washed on a hot wash was just enough and to keep the original dress alive I used part of it for trim.

I adjusted the dress pattern very slightly by putting a centre back zip in (I used a peach invisible one , not vintage this time)

I used both fabrics  to create a tie back belt instead on the covered buckle one on the original which hung too heavy on the fabric.

(opps, sorry forgot to turn piccie)

I also added an underarm gusset for movement while dancing …this I feel is the weakest point on a fitted dress

and some shirring at the front shoulder as my daughter has a good size bust and without (as in the original) it looked bulky.

I turned the hem up to the regulation war time  19″ from the ground :) and used original fabric cut on the bias to finish it of…

I must say my daughter and I am very pleased with the result , especially as a chap she met a a dance weekend said her dress was beautiful and

looked like it was made for her…well it was !! :) )

Maxine all ready for the dance with original 1940s brouges and victory rolls by me…

hope you enjoy my post as much as I enjoy all of yours. Mrs Bee

 

 

 

 

{ 6 comments }

I made this dress for Christmas and have only managed to photograph it today! The pattern is ‘Sense and Sensibility 40′s Swing Dress’ and I’ve made one before. The pattern instructions aren’t the clearest and I had problems with the bodice first time around, this time I remembered my previous mistakes.
I’m not sure it’s actually meant to be so ‘blouson’ but I like the way the bodice looks like it’s a separate, I think the bodice pattern pieces are too large for my frame, although the skirt is a great fit.

And boy I really matched up those checks didn’t I – I unpicked the skirt panels umpteen times to get the checks to line up nicely at the centre front and back.
But after all that angst guess what – I really wish I hadn’t bothered.

I wish I’d cut the skirt panels on the bias – I think the dress would look much nicer with the plaid on the diagonal! It might swing nicer too. Ce la vie.

There are more pics on my blog and you can find the first version of this dress I made for comparison.

{ 5 comments }