style

Thought you lovely folks would appreciate the stack of vintage patterns I just thrifted for 10 cents each. I may have squealed in the store….

A pile of vintage treasures!

A sampling of my faves here, but check out the full blog post for all 20!

Butterick 8381 (1958)

Simplicity 5059 (1960s)

Simplicity 8656 (1969) Those collars!

Sew Lovely P500 (1970)

{ 8 comments }

 

50′s Retro styled wiggle dress , V back neck, based on Burda Style 7178

I use a thick linen fabric .

The  diamond pattern makes me choose the  simplest design , model C : sleeveless , without collar .

 

 

 

 

 

 

{ 9 comments }

v2961 flamingo dress 1950 fashion 50s design vogue vintage pattern 2961

Oh how I adored this fabric when I first set my eyes on it! I couldn’t decide for months on which pattern would be better to use with my beloved flamingos.

I finally decided to use another awesome vintage pattern reprint from Vogue – a v2961.

The real awesomeness of this dress is that it was quite easy to sew and looks perfect when finished. Although it was a moderately easy pattern, the dress looks really elegant when finished. I mean, as elegant as any dress covered up with flamingos would look :P

The pattern I used for this dress is one of Vogue Vintage collections. The v2961 was originally published in 1953 and it’s a classic 50s fashion with tight bodice and a poodle skirt.

vogue vintage elbise kalıpları

 

I must say, for the novice sewing enthusiasts the only challenging detail will be the bound buttonholes at the front. Evet I first thought of placing an invisible zipper on the side and sewing the buttons just as accessories. But then I decided to stick with the original pattern and see how it’ll turn out. I did not make bound buttonholes though – as suggested - and just made regular buttonholes.

vogue 2961 1950s dress patterns

The fitted top was so easy to make, despite the boning detail. I fitted the bodice like a glove very easily. To be honest, the bodice pattern has only 2 darts at the front and 2 at the back and was much easier to make and fitted much better, compared to other more complicated patterns with similar look.

Sewing the buttons on the bodice was the easy part. I did spend some time in trying to figure out how to do the same thing on the skirt. The instructions were quite complicated for me, as I was doing this for the first time.

I cut the upper front of the skirt pieces same as trousers pattern. I then stitched a paper-like interlining on the extra bits and then fold it into two in order to open buttonholes neatly.

I can go on living my happy ending with my flamingos…

I hope that you will also have your happy (sewing project ) ending soon… well, until the next one at least :)

Cheers!

sewingyourstyle.tumblr.com

 

Read more: http://sewingyourstyle.tumblr.com/post/28327592035/flamingo-dress#ixzz26KVKG6Dm

{ 2 comments }

As part of the sewing pattern review contest I sewed Style 2516. Dug out of the cupboard it was a little ripped and torn in places.

But being very careful managed to cut out the pieces. I think I may have to trace off the pattern on something more sturdy. As its been a really nice and simple pattern to sew and I already have loads of ideas with modifications I can do such as contrasting collar and cuffs to give a casual blazer look. Using maybe a linen or brushed cotton.

I even did the dreaded buttonholes all by hand….fortunately only had three to do.

They just take me so long to do.

More detail & pics on my blog.

{ 2 comments }