simplicity 3688

I made a new playsuit!

I’ve been wanting to make another playsuit in fun colors ever since last summer’s adventure, and when I saw a watermelon print fabric at Joann’s I snapped up the last few yards that were left on the bolt.

I ended up compiling four patterns to get the basic pieces:  Simplicity 4395 and Vogue 3282 for the bodice and Simplicity 3688 and Butterick 7761 for the shorts.  I also put together a simple dirndl skirt without a pattern.

I’m super pleased with how it came out… I really like the high waisted shorts, and the watermelon fabric is such fun.  I even made a little matching belt out of an old cheapy kid’s belt from Target.  It’s a little messy, but it will do for now.  I’ll definitely make the shorts again, although I may lengthen the inseam a smidgen!  I’m also thinking of making another top option out of my remaining watermelon fabric & opinions on that would be awesome.

More pictures of the play version, the dress version, and the construction details can be found on my blog!

{ 10 comments }

Attack of the 1940s…

by Bex on April 22, 2013 · 9 comments

in 1940s,Skirts

If anyone reads my Blog they quickly figure out I have a soft spot for the 1940s! This jumper took me 5 months to knit, and I hope it’s OK to post here on SewRetro.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 It’s the Bell-Stitch Jumper from Stitchcraft Magazine, Jan 1944. It pairs really well with the navy skirt I made from the popular Simplicity repro 3688 (posted last year on WeSewRetro). I wear this skirt all the time, it was so easy to make, I really recommend it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Add a 1940′s celluoid brooch and hair scarf, and i’m set to go! I love this look, but 5 months of knitting? Ouch. I’m switching to DK weight for the next project so I can finish it more quickly and not go quietly insane.

{ 9 comments }

Another Sew For Victory project here! For mine I made something I always seem to be in dire need of: trousers. I used the ever popular Simplicity 3688 repro pattern, which I’ve made once before, but with a twist. I used the bodice of a dress pattern to draft a bib pattern to make them into dungarees (overalls, for the US readers).

They are made in a soft slightly brushed navy cotton drill with a small amount of stretch, just enough for comfort. I made the bib bodice detachable by adding buttons inside the waistband to attach it to, so I can wear them just as trousers too. I lined the bodice with a lovely repro quilting cotton print that I now wish I had more of for a dress!

I put side seam pockets in, with a small facing section of the main fabric at the opening edge of the back half of the pocket to help prevent the lining peeking out if the pockets. Anyone know a technical term for this? I feel like it ought to have a specific name.

Anyways, I suspect they’ll get worn to death- I’ve already worn them four or five times in the couple of weeks since making them!

{ 7 comments }

I am so excited to finally be able to share my Sew For Victory outfit with you all.  I finished this outfit at the start of last week but every time Corey was home to take pictures for me the rain would come back.  But finally here we are.


1940s pinafore skirt blouse

1940s pinafore skirt blouse

When this sew-a-long first popped up I jumped straight on the bandwagon.  I am trying participate in a bit more around the blogosphere this year and I thought this was the perfect place to start.  I already had a 1940′s reproduction pattern (simplicity 3688) in my stash that I knew I could use and after seeing Tasha’s pinafore skirt I knew exactly what I wanted to make.  I did a little google search for some inspiration and came across this pinafore skirt by NudeeDudee which I used as my starting point.  Instead of a pastel I decided to go with a forest green cavalier garbadine that I picked up from Spotlight.  The straps are not actually functional.  The buttons are just sewn on top for decoration.


1940s pinafore skirt blouse

1940s pinafore skirt blouse

Originally I was just going to take photos of this skirt with a blouse I have in my wardrobe.  However, it isn’t 1940′s at all and I thought to myself if I was going to join in a sew-a-long I needed to do it properly.  So I went on a search for a blouse pattern to make and came across this wrap blouse by Mrs Depew’s Vintage.  I didn’t want to buy anymore fabric so grabbed this cream & yellow spotted seersucker from my stash.  The only alteration I made to this pattern was to make a pleat in the sleeves instead of gathering them.


1940s pinafore skirt blouse

1940s pinafore skirt blouse

And this is how the blouse looks without the skirt.  It is a wrap blouse so for the skirt I just pinned the wrap pieces across to the sides.  I really like this blouse, however, if I was to make it again I think I would need to try and lower the v seam in the front so it actually sits below my bust.  I am so glad I decided to take part in this sew-a-long.  It was so much fun!  I have another sew-a-long planned for this year and hopefully I will get to take part in many more.  A massive thank you to Rochelle for organising this sew-a-long.  I have had a lot of fun!

{ 3 comments }