1960s

Simplicity 2154 For a Mini-Capsule Wardrobe

By on July 13, 2018
Review on Simplicity 2154 a vintage reproduction 1960's suit and how I managed to make the perfect spring, mini-capsule wardrobe with it.

On my make nine this year I decided to add a few vintage patterns one of which was Simplicity 2154.

I had mad this pattern years ago but didn’t feel like I had the fit right and I never got around to making the bow blouse.

Anyways, I decided that this year I would give it another go.

A Spring Look

I whipped up Simplicity 2154 at the end of April and choose to use spring colors to make the set. I was really inspired by the floral jersey I had in my stash. This fabric almost looks like upholstery fabric but it’s really soft and I thought the floral colors were perfect for spring.

Review on Simplicity 2154 a vintage reproduction 1960's suit and how I managed to make the perfect spring, mini-capsule wardrobe with it.
This fabric just screamed spring

I chose a coordinating solid for the blouse and the skirt. Starting with the skirt I went with a medium tan polyester fabric that had a bit of stretch to it.

The pretty bow blouse, which I was most excited to make, I used a pink cotton lawn fabric. The fabric has little white lines on it but they can only be seen up close. The lines give the pink a softer baby pink look.

Construction

While this project was pretty stright forward I did make a few changes to the overall construction.

Review on Simplicity 2154 a vintage reproduction 1960's suit and how I managed to make the perfect spring, mini-capsule wardrobe with it.
Minor changes and now the fit is spot on.

First I found way too much room in the skirt so I ended up forgoing the side zip and added a back elastic waistband.

The Internet was filled with reviews on the bow blouse and how many found that the side zip was unnecessary. I decided to listen to the reviews and leave out the zip as well. Turns out it didn’t really need it and works perfectly as a pullover top.

Review on Simplicity 2154 a vintage reproduction 1960's suit and how I managed to make the perfect spring, mini-capsule wardrobe with it.
The perfect pretty bow blouse for a vintage wardrobe

The Mini-Wardrobe

In the title of this post, I mentioned a mini-wardrobe, which is exactly what I made using Simplicity 2154 as the base. As it turned out I had some leftover floral jersey from the cardigan and quite a bit of the pink cotton from the top. Using this leftover fabric I made a few more pieces that I could mix and match with the individual pieces of Simplicity 2154.

Review on Simplicity 2154 a vintage reproduction 1960's suit and how I managed to make the perfect spring, mini-capsule wardrobe with it.

For full details about making this dress and the coordinating pieces be sure to see my full blog post at http://akramsideas.com/spring-simplicity-2154/

Continue Reading

1950s | Dresses | Vintage Sewing

• 1950s Peppermint Dot Christmas Dress •

By on December 16, 2015

PDCD12

There’s something so fun about making dresses for particular holidays, especially Christmas!! 🙂 I made this dress last week using some Michael Miller fabric, and I’m definitely in love with it.

PDCD14

The bodice is based off of Simplicity 1459, with a Simplicity 2154 neckline and collar. The skirt is from Simplicity 1250.

PDCD17

All in all, it’s SUCH a fun dress, and I am loving wearing it every single day! 🙂

For more pictures and the full story, hop over to my blog.

Merry Christmas!

Continue Reading

1960s | Blouses

Simplicity 2154 View B – Bow Blouse

By on June 17, 2014

I’ve had this retro pattern in my stash fr what seems like ages and I’ve not yet sewn anything from it. Yesterday I sat down with a yard and a half of a pretty (but unfortunately polyester) fabric I grabbed at Joann’s a few days before. I knew this fabric would present some problems, mainly with it being really slippery, but I was not expecting it to literally disintegrate along the seams the minute any pressure was placed on them.

I stitched this up in a few hours, put it on, and as soon as I reach to grab something, the center back seam split completely apart. I took it off, and barely applied pressure to another seam, and it shredded apart too. Ugh! I wasn’t expecting that at all. After the seam shredding business, I busted out some bias tape and bound all of my seams, hoping that would  keep them together. I’ve been wearing the blouse all day today without any incidents, so it appears to have worked. We’ll see how it fares in the wash but I think it will be okay. In hindsight, I’d cut this with slightly large seam allowances and use French seams on it if I make it again out of a similar fabric- Its a close fitting blouse and there isn’t much easy at all in it.

The directions call for a button and loop closure at the neck, but I went with a hook and eye instead mostly because I have literally thousands of hooks and eyes and they were within reach.

I love the ridiculously large bow and the collar is really cute. I might make this again in a solid color cotton as I really like it, but not sure as its pretty distinctive. I don’t have this up on my blog yet, but as usual, you’re welcome to pop by and say hello!

http://debsinstitches.com/

Continue Reading