shirtwaist

I’ve made a new 1950′s style dress. It’s a shirtdress with a slim skirt which has pleats which form pockets at the tops.

More pictures and the whole story are on my blog

{ 2 comments }

1956 pattern

by laurien on October 6, 2013 · 15 comments

in Vintage Sewing

Finally finished this dress in Amy Butler Nigella sateen cotton. It’s a great weight for this pattern and for a fall dress. My first shot at pockets– they needed some adjusting and tacking here and there, but overall, I faced my fear and I will be happy to tackle them again.

Pocket detail

The buttons are vintage jet, faceted and I had just enough.

{ 15 comments }

I made this dress for the Sew for Victory sew along challenge, hosted by Rochelle from Lucky Lucille.

I used a vintage pattern from the 1940s, Simplicity 4036. I had to make a lot of alterations to the pattern (it was two sizes too big and I always have a lot of fit issues anyway), but I’d say it was worth it.

The fabric is a vintage chambray that I picked up at a thrift store a while back for about $2. I made the buttons and the belt, using material I had left over from a previous reconstruction. It has little red cherries with navy and light blue stems and leaves.

If you’re interested, you can read more about it here.

{ 13 comments }

I now present to you my 1940′s dress for Sew for Victory. It’s from Hollywood Patterns (No. 855), from May 1942, endorsed by Betty Grable of 20th Century Fox.  It was my first time using an original 1940′s pattern, which was a fun experience. I’m actually a bit disappointed by the dress, mostly because I was talked into fabric with which I’m just not in love. Oh well. Not every project can be a winner. And I’ve certainly been inspired by all the lovely creations others have made for this sewalong! See my full blog post for more details.

{ 14 comments }