shirtwaist dress

Butterick 6835

by Ruby June on July 2, 2013 · 14 comments

in 1950s

I recently had my 5-year wedding anniversary with my husband. We stayed at a lovely bed and breakfast to celebrate properly! For the occasion, I made this dress. Knowing full-well it would be hot that day, I aimed to create something airy with lightweight fabric. Honestly, it was perhaps the most difficult to work with since it was so sheer and had 4-way stretch which was always  trying to escape from my sewing machine. But, it was well worth the effort, as this 1950′s dress turned out lovely and fit like a dream.  I also holed myself up in my sewing corner and whipped this baby out in six hours…determination pays off.

The rest of my post on our little adventure, can be read here. Thanks for reading!

{ 14 comments }

This is my first make from Gertie’s New Book For Better Sewing, which I bought as soon as it was out but had yet to make anything from. I used a red cotton with a woven check pattern. For anyone considering making this but worried about fabric quantities, I got this out of 2.1m of 60″ wide when the requirements say 3m! The only pieces I missed out were the back yoke lining (I cut a small neck facing instead) and the pockets, which could easily be made from a different fabric anyway. So in all I would think you could easily get it out of 2.5m or less.

 

 

The only alteration I made was to the shoulder width. I took the excess off the back shoulder edge only, then gathered the front in to match it, creating an extra gathered detail at the shoulders.

I used little black buttons with a swirl pattern. I bought a ton of these in two sizes I love them that much! It can be hard to find new buttons with a vintage appropriate look sometimes.

All in all I love this dress, and will definitely make it again. It was quite quick and easy to put together and comfy to wear all day.

Hats off to my not yet three-year-old for taking the photos.

 

{ 6 comments }

I’m so loving everyone’s Sew for Victory dresses! The fourties are one of my favorite decades!

I chose to make a white shirtwaist dress from Simplicity 3517 from 1940 for this challenge. White’s not really the most practical color but it’s great for mixing and matching different colored accessories!

I adore fashions from 1939/1940. Now if only I could find a smashing hat like on the blonde I’d be all set!

As always, there’s more photos and construction details on my blog if you’d like to know more.

{ 1 comment }

I now present to you my 1940′s dress for Sew for Victory. It’s from Hollywood Patterns (No. 855), from May 1942, endorsed by Betty Grable of 20th Century Fox.  It was my first time using an original 1940′s pattern, which was a fun experience. I’m actually a bit disappointed by the dress, mostly because I was talked into fabric with which I’m just not in love. Oh well. Not every project can be a winner. And I’ve certainly been inspired by all the lovely creations others have made for this sewalong! See my full blog post for more details.

{ 14 comments }