shirt dress

Hello again! It’s been a while since my first post here, but I’ve been busy sewing and I just finished something that I think is vintage-looking enough that I can post it here… the Colette Ceylon dress! I was looking for a genuine 1940′s pattern to make, but didn’t find what I was looking for so I figured that a 40′s-style modern pattern would have to do.

I made this up in a a lightweight wool that I bought at a local discount fabric store. It’s 100% wool, so it’s quite warm, and aside from fraying like mad, was lovely to work with.

I had to size down the pattern, but other than that I made very few changes – just adjusting the shoulders and the shape of the back yoke.

I tired lots of new techniques, such as covered buttons and buttonholes (in retrospect, it might have been a better idea to start with a button-down blouse rather than a project that required 16 buttons and buttonholes, but this seemed like a good idea at the time. Ah well, it all worked out nicely in the end).

In case you’re wondering, the actual colour is somewhere in between the colour in the pictures of me wearing it and the flat picture. It’s not quite as dark as it looks in the photos of me wearing it, but it’s not quite as purple as the flat photo.

I’m really happy with how this dress turned out. For more details, including the facepalm-worthy story of why I have one too many buttonholes, have a look at the full post on my blog. Thanks for reading!

{ 12 comments }

Hi friends! I wanted to share this project today that I made over a year ago. It’s a shirt dress I made as a project in a sewing class I took at my local community college. I based it on this 1940′s dress pattern in my collection, though I didn’t use the actual pattern:

As you can see, the envelope is in pretty rough shape! I fell in love with the cute diamond-shaped pocket detail.

The fabric is a gray cotton chambray. I also did some topstitching in yellow! For more pictures and info, check out my post here on my blog, Scavenger Hunt.

       Happy Wednesday!

                    -Melissa

 

{ 8 comments }

Hello and today I am showing my first dress I have ever made in this style. This was a challenge for me, I learnt a lot about dress making and many some new contacts.  I chose this shirt style dress unbeknown to me a collar is not that easy especially for a beginner but here it is and it turned out well.

Here is a close up of the darts, there were a few all around. The buttons I got from Etsy, they were new old stock so I was pleased to find them. This took me just over a week but that was sewing everyday. I am very pleased how this turned out and fits.

I am now setting myself my own challenge to make a full 40′s wardrobe from dresses, blouses, skirts to suits……Happy Crafting!

 

 

 

{ 5 comments }

Butterick 26381940s red dress

This is the second time I have used this pattern: Vintage Butterick 2638. It is such a comfy fit. This one seemed to take a little longer than the first. Only because I made a few adjustments and included longer sleeves but I am happy with the result. Not totally sure what the fabric is. Its 100 per cent cotton and has a lovely rib going on. A friend of mine was decluttering and gave me a bag of mixed fabric. I knew what this was destined for as soon as I opened the bag!

1940s red shirt dress

I’m not sure it would be recognised as a vintage 40s dress, especially styled with wellies and a Hello Kitty brolly. But needs must in this relentlessly rainy UK climate! I’m so glad to have found the perfect home for these sweet little ‘target’ buttons.

target button detail

For more info and pictures pop over to ooobop! 

{ 12 comments }