sew for victory

Here comes my entry for “Sew for Victory”, a Ginger skirt AND my first Crochet flower… (Very proud of myself !)
Full blogpost here

Have a nice WE everyone !

{ 0 comments }

my first edition

And my first 40′s  sewing !!!  So I have a challenge, make a sailor outfit with patterns from XXI era….

I hope I made a sucess

 

 

 

A skirt from Colette’s pattern and a top from New look…

 

 

It was a really pleasure to sew it and now to wear it

See more pictures on my blog 

 

 

{ 8 comments }

Hello fellow vintage sewists!

This dress is probably one of my favorites that I’ve made for myself.

Butterick 5281

This dress is a 1946 reproduction Retro Butterick 5281.  The fabric I used is Anna Sui “Owl Eyes” Rayon/Cotton Challis.  I’ve never sewn with challis before and found it to be a pretty easy sew fabric.  After prewashing it got pretty soft and goes perfect with the light tan cotton batiste that I used for the lining.  I used a cotton twill for the belt and added some fuschia buttons for a faux closure on the bodice.  I made this dress to enter in Fabric Mart’s Julie’s Picks contest (which starts this week for voting!) and also for Lucky Lucille’s Sew for Victory.  I wore this to a meeting last week and it got some rave reviews!  There is nothing that I don’t like about this dress and as it’s a very wearable vintage inspired garment, I definitely plan to be sporting it for years to come. :)

Butterick 5281

 

Happy Sewing!

 

 

 

 

 

Further info/photos on my blog

{ 1 comment }

Recently I joined in the Sew For Victory Sew Along, and although I was a few days late I DID finish! Whew!

My pattern was a 1940′s blouse pattern I bought off Etsy. It came to me all the way from the UK, but I had to have it… I fell in love with the sleeves! Initially I was going to make the long sleeved collar one with the great cuffs, but the more I looked, the more I wanted to do View 3. And so I did!

I had a lot of trouble getting started. Mainly because I could not find a fabric I wanted. So in true #SewForVictory spirit I spotted an unused purple sheet in my garage and BINGO! It became my blouse!

See? Aren’t those sleeves great? Although, oops, they seem to require a bit more pressing! I am wondering if I should add the shoulder pads. I KNOW they were the thing in the 40′s… and 80′s… Hmmm- do you think they will be back any time soon? I think the shoulder seam would be in the perfect spot WITH the shoulder pads. I may try it out!

The pattern was pretty easy! I was surprised, because I admit I was very hesitant to begin. I looked at those completely blank pattern pieces with punched holes scattered throughout, and ONE page of directions for several days before I even got the courage to start… and finally I just dived in! And it wasn’t bad at all. As a matter of fact the manner in which they did the collars was very simple! And despite there being quite a few darts, once I had marked and pinned them all they went in easily! And I really like all the darts and tucks. They add a nice fit! So feminine!

On a side note- No pattern pieces were harmed in the making of this blouse. :D

Inside I used all french seams. Oh how I LOVE the look of the inside of a garment with french seams. I put up the hem by hand using hem tape (lace)… I think the inside looks almost as nice as the outside!

I was also worried about the button holes. It has been years since I have done any, and frankly using my daughters $80 sewing machine (mine is still broken) made me wonder if my whole blouse would become a wadder once I tried fighting with it. BUT they went in without a hitch! Easy as pie… I covered buttons because I wanted a nice clean look.

When I was finished I got out the dye. The color of the sheet was a wishy washy kind of purple and I wanted to deepen it so I bought purple dye, and added in a bit of blue. I think the color turned out perfect! BTW- Purple is HARD to photograph! It is a deeper purple than the one above- It is more like the first pic of me…

I wanted to look like the girl on the pattern but my hair is too long so I pulled it back… BUT I did add a black ribbon as a tie. :D I am very happy with my blouse and absolutely WILL wear it! Probably sans the ribbon tie!

I think this is a blouse I will make again. I would change the length of the blouse- I would add on a few inches I think. I would LOVE to have a dressy long sleeved one made from silk charmeuse… and I am still pining after a pretty aqua cotton poplin blouse- maybe the short sleeve one for a springy/ summery top.

I definitely have a greater appreciation for my grandma! My grandpa was a soldier in the Marines for many years! I definitely enjoyed this foray into that period of time and plan on participating again next year!

That is my grandad! He was a career Marine and joined up in the early 1940′s… Later on he became a recruiter and recruited my mom and several of his sons! :)

~Laurie

{ 7 comments }