romper

I finally finished my playsuit, just in time for the end of summer! I used McCall’s 6331
I actually wanted to make a matching skirt to make it a vintage inspired playsuit ensemble.
I switched out the zipper closure in the pattern for bound buttonholes.

The blue and white polka dot fabric was super shear so I underlined the whole thing with lightweight white cotton. the bodice is additionally lined with a solid blue cotton that matches the polka dots, causing the overturned pieces on the bodice to contrast.

I think I can still wear my playsuit as long as it is still warm out (which it is).

Way more info about the making of this and this on my blog, Belle Clara

{ 8 comments }

 

I have had this pattern, which is Simplicity 1944 from 1947, in my collection for a while. My cousin just had a baby girl, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to make up this cute little sun suit. The pattern is a size 3, so it will be awhile before she grows into it, but it was so darn cute I had to give it a  whirl. I used plaid lightweight cotton, and went with a rickrack trim in fuchsia. There is a fuchsia stripe in the fabric, but it is not showing up well on camera. This is View 1, which has self made ruffles. View 2 uses purchased trim. I also contemplated using elastic in the legs, but in the end I went with the self made bias tape that is called for in the pattern. I did some quick and dirty hand bound buttonholes, which look less than great but do the job. Definitely more practice needed in that department. Unfortunately, the brim pattern piece for the matching bonnet was missing. I contemplated drafting a new one, but decided against it because I already have a giant pile of stuff in my sewing stash I need to get to, so I kept in simple with just the sun suit. Enjoy!

{ 14 comments }