ric-rac

Hi, this is a dress with rather fab coffee pots and tea cups on!  I drafted the pattern using an Enid Gilchrist book.  I lurve these books and have made a few things using them.

I decided to add a gathered skirt to the bodice because I had a large piece of fabric and only have one seam on the left side where the invisible zip is.  I managed to match the pattern on this seam too so it is almost invisible too.  For an extra detail I added blue ric rac to the waist seam and along the edges of the sleeves and neck edge.  The sleeves are ‘grown on’ sleeves with a little gusset under the arm.  This pattern appealed to me for that so that I wouldn’t cut up any of the pots and cups on the fabric.

In this photo I’m wearing a cotton cardigan I made last year from a Rowan pattern.  The pattern had a peplum but I chose to start from the waist edge instead so that I could wear it with full skirts and you can still see my waist.

 

 

 

{ 12 comments }

I posted a while back about a 1950s style patio skirt I made and I finally got around to making the matching blouse to go with it!

I used Butterick 7328 for the blouse and added ric rac trim to match the skirt.

I did a circle of red, then gold, the red again ric rac around the blouse following the line of the yoke. I also added some red ric rac to the collar. I wish I had had some of the black trim from the skirt leftover, but it was vintage and I only had enough to go around the skirt twice.

Overall, I’m very happy with the project! I never need an excuse to wear ridiculous amounts of ric rac!

More photos and construction details over on the blog!

{ 7 comments }

Do you ever get a really crazy idea? About a week before I left for vacation, a friend gave me some old curtains left in their new house by the previous owners. They were a bright sunny yellow and I just knew it would be perfect for a 1950s patio dress. And I decided that I just had to have it done before vacation so I could wear it on vacation.

Now, the basic pattern for the skirt is pretty easy-it’s just three long rectangles gathered together with an elastic waist band. But vintage patio dresses take heaps of trim!

Aside from hours sewing on ric rac and other trims, my sewing machine decided it needed to break down. Thank goodness all it needed was a new bobbin shuttle but I lost a few days of sewing time waiting for it to arrive.

So, in the end I was only able to get the skirt portion finished, but I do have a vintage blouse pattern cut out to match. Luckily, I had a Mexican peasant top that worked well too!

I ended up wearing this outfit to a bird sanctuary and one of the ladies working there said it reminded her of the outfits she wore growing up in Mexico which just made my day! More photos (and photos of birds!) over on the blog.

{ 4 comments }

I now present to you my 1940′s dress for Sew for Victory. It’s from Hollywood Patterns (No. 855), from May 1942, endorsed by Betty Grable of 20th Century Fox.  It was my first time using an original 1940′s pattern, which was a fun experience. I’m actually a bit disappointed by the dress, mostly because I was talked into fabric with which I’m just not in love. Oh well. Not every project can be a winner. And I’ve certainly been inspired by all the lovely creations others have made for this sewalong! See my full blog post for more details.

{ 14 comments }