1930s | Blouses | Coats | Skirts | Vintage Sewing

December Red – a 1930’s Red Wool Ensemble

By on December 17, 2017

This outfit all began the fabric. The print (Asian Art Deco?) from this quilting cotton was irresistible and there was just enough of it (left to purchase) to scrape out a blouse. It seemed so suited for something 1930’s, but is a quilting cotton, so not terribly drapey. I already had a very long length of wool crepe that coordinated, so I knew I could make something to go with the finished piece.

I went in  search for the perfect 1930’s blouse pattern, to start, which proved to be a little easier said than done, as I had trouble finding a blouse pattern that suited the fabric. I did settle on a gorgeous 1930’s dress pattern with a fabulous neck bow, that could be converted into a blouse and skirt. Next up, I searched for a coat pattern and ended up finding all my patterns in the same place. Yay!

The Dress Pattern (above) that I chose to adapt to a blouse and skirt, appealed to me, at first, because of the bow, but also because of the angled shaping of the front opening and V-shape at the center front on the skirt. Because of the minimal length of fabric, I knew the fuller sleeve was not an option.  The short puff sleeve seemed more flattering as well, so I did end up using it in the end.

The Coat pattern was an easy choice.  I love that it had some flair to both the sleeves and the bottom edge.  It seemed a very easy and less formal design that would pair nicely with the finished skirt and blouse.

Each piece turned out very well and I’m excited to wear them all to a Caroling party next weekend.  The Red is VERY festive, don’t you think?

If you would like to see more of how I adapted the dress pattern into a skirt and blouse, some great sewing techniques for the coat and all my resources for the entire ensemble, please visit my blog.

Until next time, Happy Sewing!

xo

Jennifer

Continue Reading

Vintage Sewing

A Mod Dress from Simplicity 1609

By on January 23, 2014

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, although I’ve commented quite a bit! I thought I’d share a fairly easy dress I made from a Simplicity reproduction retro pattern.

So… here goes! I found this pattern at Joann’s and waited until it was on sale to get it. I was a little hesitant about making a mod dress since I don’t quite have the shape for this style. But I figured what the heck! I dug through my fabric stash and found this neat black polka-dotted double-knit fabric I’d bought some time ago. I wanted a warm fabric since it’s still winter.

There weren’t too many pattern pieces. The view without the bow has even less than the view i went with. The construction was pretty easy, good thing too since this pattern is labeled as a “jiffy” pattern. The neck and arm holes are lined with interfacing, giving a bit more structure to the dress.

I didn’t really make any alterations to the pattern except for the bow. My fabric choice didn’t really accommodate the bow the pattern outlined. The pattern called for a bow with tails, which didn’t look that great with my double-knit. So instead I made more of a bow-tie. I’m glad I did, it turned out much to my liking!

The only question now is where to wear it!

Some Finished pictures:

To see the detailed construction of this dress check out my blog: thestitchholder.blogspot.com

Continue Reading