psychedelia

I was lucky enough to find 6 yards of this psychedelic acetate in a charity shop on the same day I found the 1969  Simplicity pattern and according to the instructions, exactly the correct amount of fabric required for View 2 – my favourite outfit!

 Although too big I had a dressmaking friend on hand to talk me through sizing it down.

It was surprisingly easy to make,  I managed to finish it in an afternoon.

The Bakelite buttons were salvaged from a 1940s tea dress which had disintegrated over time.

I couldn’t resist recreating the hairstyle on the envelope, I think that bit was trickier than making the outfit!

{ 23 comments }


As soon as I received this groovy 1960s psychedelic nylon in a package from a dear blogging friend I knew it would be the perfect for making up into a festival playsuit (or “pantdress”, as it’s called on the pattern envelope).

The 1967 pattern is a MacCall’s 8978- a gift from another generous blogging friend.  It fastens at the back with a metal zip I’d rescued from a ruined dress I’d bought from a jumble sale.

Although I did make the pockets I wasn’t keen on how they looked once they were attached so I promptly unpicked them and relegated them to the patchwork pile.

The playsuit got it’s first outing at Glastonbury 2013 on the only wet night, worn under a 1960s white fake fur coat with my trusty vintage high heeled wellies.

{ 15 comments }