Hi again! I just wanted to share this dress I made last week. If you couldn’t tell, I made it from a vintage sheet. The pattern I used is shown below, Advance 9209. The pattern is actually for a pinafore to be worn over a nightgown, so I made a few little tweaks to make it work as a sundress- adding more buttons and making the pockets a little smaller.
I made my own bias tape for the first time for the project and I’m amazed at how easy it actually is! I also learned how to use my sewing machine’s buttonhole foot for the first time (embarrassingly, I’ve had it for like 8 years!) and I think it just changed my life!
I have more pictures and info over on my blog, Scavenger Hunt, if you’d like to pop over and take a look!
It looks like Eileen and I could be the start of a come-back for the pinafore dress!
While on my little shopping spree at Easter I picked up a funky, purple and grey plaid to make this adorable 1930s pinafore and have been dying to cut out it ever since. Originally, I’d only planned to make the pinafore, I’ve plenty of things to wear with it, but the blouse looked so simple I figured, why not? Famous last words. Of course there were a couple of small issues, the sleeves gave a trouble, but I worked around it and am really pleased with the result.
More details & pics on my blog.
B4320 Dorothy dress
I still can’t quite believe that the movie, The Wizard of Oz was made in 1939! I made this Dorothy dress for my daughter for World Book Day, which is being celebrated at her school this coming Friday. A week later than the official date but that suited me just fine and gave me time to get hold of the pattern. Of course I probably could have drafted a pattern myself but I really appreciate how this is constructed. The waistband, the straps and the top band of the bib are all interfaced and faced and hand finished on the inside. It was quite time consuming considering that it is basically a gathered skirt with a bib and straps but I’m really pleased with the result and moreso that my daughter loves it! Also posted over at ooobop!
This deceptively easy child’s pinafore still required some swear words and a go with the quick unpick to finish.
I let my little girl (aged nearly 4) pick out the fabric from my stash, some sort of cotton, only 1 yard needed. Of course, she wouldn’t model the finished dress, so here is a photo before it was finished when I was just seeing how much to hem it by.
What I really like about this pattern is that I am myself a child of the 70s and I know I wore this sort of thing myself……