The Fluff on Petticoats

By on November 7, 2012
From Country Petticoats

Hello everyone! This is my first post here at Sew Retro. I’ve been lurking about, learning and watching, trying to soak up enough knowledge to take the plunge, and sew some things myself.

Not only am I new to sewing clothes, I’m also new to wearing vintage and had a few questions concerning petticoats. Maybe I’m over thinking things here, but the whole petticoat thing has got me in a fluff! I mean we’ve got the really poofy, the little bit ruffly, and the lacy then… … … there’s crinolines! (Is there a difference?) Essentially, a petticoat is a slip meant to give a dress/skirt volume right? Or is there more to it?

What is what in this mountain of floof? What should a girl look for buying or making her first petticoat? (I’m leaning more toward buying right now.) How can I get educated on these mysterious underthings and not slip up. If you could point me in the right direction I sure would appreciate it.

From Crow202 site

Continue Reading


Simplicity 4137, a 1950s Petticoat

By on October 27, 2011

Hello!  Wanted to pop in and share my latest project 🙂

Autumn has me dreaming of pretty 1950s frocks a la Funny Face, but first I thought I needed to address proper foundations to help the silhouette.  Since my last petticoat met an unfortunate demise at the paws of our two felines, it was time to re-address the petticoat question.  I had previously made over a 1980s prom dress from a thrift store find into a 1950s skirt, and I was never too happy with the shape.  I pulled it out of the closet as the perfect candidate for a make-over.  I cut it apart, and with the addition of some solid black taffeta, I had enough fabric to use the pattern I had in mind.

The pattern I used for this project was Simplicity 4137, a vintage pattern from 1953.  Mine is missing a front cover, but here’s the illustration image from the instructions:

I made view 1.  This pattern was EASY and was pretty fast to sew! It probably took me under 4 hours to sew, and I wasn’t moving fast.

I also have to add, in case any of you are thinking of making up this pattern, that the tulle underlay was NOT originally included in the pattern or instructions.  I just wanted extra fluff, so this is the piece that was cut straight out of that 80′s prom dress, just trimmed down at the top and added at the bottom of the petticoat yoke.  I think it does the job really well, and I’m also quite pleased at the extra body given by the taffeta! Below is an inside-out shot in case any of you are interested in attempting a similar project:

So that’s it! My latest little sewing project.  More on blog Wearing History.

Continue Reading