pattern review


This summer I completed the housedress from Decades of Style, a project I started more than a year ago.

The pattern
The pattern is a reproduction pattern from 1944. I actually ran across the original pattern at one point and the original had another sleeves option. This pattern however only contains the short wide sleeves. It has a princess cut, a square necklines, buttons down the front and diamond shapes pockets. It comes in nine sizes.

The layout was very clear and it was easy to cut out and sew. I was a bit apprehensive as a princess cut rarely works for my figure, but there is an extra bust dart that helps to shape that area, so it worked out surprisingly well.

My adaptions
I did several. I omitted the ric-rac braid and I also changed the shape on the pockets. I kept the square necklines, but I didn’t finished the same way as the pattern suggested. One thing I noticed when I finally started on the project again was that I had added some girth since I cut it out. It simply wouldn’t work to overlap the fronts for a button closure. I was thinking of putting in a zipper, but then I realized that the dress was actually wide enough to pull over my head. Having recently purchased to authentic 40’s housedresses that both are pulled over the head, I didn’t feel that that was too much cheating. However, if I ever need it, it’s easy to open the front seam and put in buttons.

Slightly wrinkly after a very hot day.

I made it out of fine cotton and it turned out to be a very light and comfortable summer dress for hot days. Nothing fancy, but perfectly wearable outside your home. I have some fabric left, so I think I will make a belt to give the dress a bit more shape. In retrospect I ought to have fiddled a bit more with the fit around the bust as it looks slightly wonky there. However, I really liked working with this pattern and I think it ought to be fairly easy to make sleeve and neckline variation.

X-posted at my own blog

{ 2 comments }


The Pattern
I bought the pattern for the 1930′s Pleated beret with accent trim as a PDF-pattern from Kalliedesigns at Etsy. When writing this the cost was $4.25. It was mailed to me very promptly, well within the time limit of 24 hours. The pattern is a copy of an old one, and is a bit sloppily executed, I’m sorry to say. The lines are broad and uneven and you need to redraw them to get an even shape. That is, however, not difficult to do. The pattern also contains 2 pages of sewing instructions. I find those easy to follow, but I suspect that you might find it a bit more difficult if you are unused to sewing.

Making the beret
The whole process of making the berest took about 3 1/2 hours, and that includes printing and cutting out the pattern, searching for fabric and notions and the actual sewing. I thought it was a very easy pattern to use. I made it out of faux suede and it took a lot less than the 1/2 yard the pattern calls for, some grossgrain ribbon and an old buckle. Everything I used came from my stash. The finished beret is very soft and I think it may look better in a fabric with more body to it, but as it is you can play around quite a bit with the shape.

So all in all I thought it was a breeze to make and quite cute when finished.

{ 4 comments }

I finally finished my retro dress from Butterick patterns B6582. I’ll be honest with you. Although the illustrations on the pattern envelope of elegant feminine look of 60s do get you excited about buying this pattern, you don’t get that retro look when your project is finished. Or maybe, it’s just me lacking the elegancy :)

Butterick 6582 retro dress

Still, my love for black and white dresses made me enjoy this dress a lot, with or without the retro vibe :)

The detail I liked most about this dress was the V-shaped back. It’s probably the only original detail that remained from the B6582 pattern :) Rest of the dress was full of alterations. Read more in sewingyourstyle.tumblr.com for the step-by-step information and for more photos on this project.

butterick 6582 sewing steps

happy sewing!

{ 9 comments }