patio dress

I posted a while back about a 1950s style patio skirt I made and I finally got around to making the matching blouse to go with it!

I used Butterick 7328 for the blouse and added ric rac trim to match the skirt.

I did a circle of red, then gold, the red again ric rac around the blouse following the line of the yoke. I also added some red ric rac to the collar. I wish I had had some of the black trim from the skirt leftover, but it was vintage and I only had enough to go around the skirt twice.

Overall, I’m very happy with the project! I never need an excuse to wear ridiculous amounts of ric rac!

More photos and construction details over on the blog!

{ 7 comments }

Do you ever get a really crazy idea? About a week before I left for vacation, a friend gave me some old curtains left in their new house by the previous owners. They were a bright sunny yellow and I just knew it would be perfect for a 1950s patio dress. And I decided that I just had to have it done before vacation so I could wear it on vacation.

Now, the basic pattern for the skirt is pretty easy-it’s just three long rectangles gathered together with an elastic waist band. But vintage patio dresses take heaps of trim!

Aside from hours sewing on ric rac and other trims, my sewing machine decided it needed to break down. Thank goodness all it needed was a new bobbin shuttle but I lost a few days of sewing time waiting for it to arrive.

So, in the end I was only able to get the skirt portion finished, but I do have a vintage blouse pattern cut out to match. Luckily, I had a Mexican peasant top that worked well too!

I ended up wearing this outfit to a bird sanctuary and one of the ladies working there said it reminded her of the outfits she wore growing up in Mexico which just made my day! More photos (and photos of birds!) over on the blog.

{ 4 comments }