Overalls

Sewing pants can be tricky but with the price of repro jeans being sky high, I knew I had to give making my own a chance!

This was my first time sewing with denim and it went really well! My machine needed a bit of persuasion to get it to sew pretty buttons in denim but I prevailed.

I made these from Wearing History’s 1940s WWII overall pattern. It was really great to work with! I chose a medium weight 7oz denim so I could wear them all year round.

I’m really pleased with how these came out! I’m pretty sure I never need to buy repro 40s jeans again!

I’ve got a much longer review and many more photos over on the blog! Have you ever made 40s pants or overalls before?

{ 7 comments }

Even though it’s not exactly Spring yet here in Wisconsin, I’m soaking up sun whenever I can find it!  Last weekend my husband was kind enough to snap a few shots of my new Decades of Style 1930s Sweetheart Overalls (using his 1951 Oshkosh Truck as a most appropriate prop).  More details and pics at my blog.

{ 9 comments }

Another Sew For Victory project here! For mine I made something I always seem to be in dire need of: trousers. I used the ever popular Simplicity 3688 repro pattern, which I’ve made once before, but with a twist. I used the bodice of a dress pattern to draft a bib pattern to make them into dungarees (overalls, for the US readers).

They are made in a soft slightly brushed navy cotton drill with a small amount of stretch, just enough for comfort. I made the bib bodice detachable by adding buttons inside the waistband to attach it to, so I can wear them just as trousers too. I lined the bodice with a lovely repro quilting cotton print that I now wish I had more of for a dress!

I put side seam pockets in, with a small facing section of the main fabric at the opening edge of the back half of the pocket to help prevent the lining peeking out if the pockets. Anyone know a technical term for this? I feel like it ought to have a specific name.

Anyways, I suspect they’ll get worn to death- I’ve already worn them four or five times in the couple of weeks since making them!

{ 7 comments }

How nice to be in Sew Retro’s new home – I haven’t posted on the new site yet, good to be back.

A real treat to make these. A sweetheart of a pattern from Decades Of Style pattern company (pattern no: 3008) – the instructions are bold and clear. They took me two days to complete without much fiddly finishing off.

What else can I say in praise of these overalls – they are really comfy, I went out dancing in them last night – rigorous Lindy Hopping in very hot sweaty conditions. They stood up to a lot of twisting and leg kicking – I did remember to reinforce the crotch seam mind you.
The fabric was a cheap polyester, for ease of care really – I made the overalls as a dancing outfit specifically and they’d need a good old wash after each outing. I’d make them again in a nice medium weight suiting for posh wear I think.

More sewing details can be found on my blog, I did have a few button hole nightmares!

The cheesecake photo shoot serves to show off my newest Cruiser Bike that I got in the summer.

{ 16 comments }