1960s | Dresses | Vintage Sewing

Blue Crazy Daisy 1960’s Dress- Simplicity 3833

By on April 3, 2013

Hello!

I wanted share a dress my sister Viola made me out of  Simplicity 3833, a 60’s re-pro pattern. I picked view B with the short sleeves. We’ve also made the sleeveless one which came out really cute too. This dress is simple to make and can be completed rather quickly making it one of our favorite dresses to whip up. I chose a blue floral cotton fabric that was on sale at JoAnn for only two dollars a yard so I couldn’t pass it up!

You can click here to see more.

Keep on sewing!

Sincerely, Vera

Continue Reading

1960s

The Louisa Coat

By on November 15, 2012

This coat is made from a heavily interfaced, vintage double knit that I found in the thrift store a few years ago. I made it using a self-drafted pattern. I think the coat has a very 60’s feel to it.

It is fully lined, and features a large collar, puff sleeves, welt pockets, topstitching and fabric covered buttons. It’s complete with my own tag and a hanging loop inside.

If I’d had more fabric, I would’ve added a detail in the back like a little buttoned belt. Oh well, I’ll add that to my next version.

The coat design is based on a well-worn and well-loved coat that I’ve had for several years. Rather than make a complete copy of the coat, I changed some things. The size of the coat is a tad larger (the store-bought one was an extra-small), the collar is much larger, the placement of the welt pockets is different, the pocket openings are wider (the store-bought coat had such small openings that I could barely fit my hands in them), some of the seams are topstitched, and the sleeves and armholes have more wiggle room for additional layers.

Technically, this is a muslin, but I hope you’ll agree this is a very wearable muslin. I love it! I plan to make a few changes to the pattern and make another coat. The biggest thing I’ll change is the size of the sleeves. I overcompensated a bit in adding room to the sleeves, so I’ll shape the sleeves a bit more for my next coat.

If you are interested in more photos and details about the project, please see this post and this post. Thanks for looking! 🙂

Continue Reading

1960s

Talking with Turtles 60s Mod Dress

By on May 12, 2012

This project is in honor of a turtle friend that I made last weekend (more details on my blog).

I know that the color and geometric pattern on the dress is not an exact match to the turtle’s shell, but I associate the project with that turtle. Probably because of the yellow markings and the fact that a dress is sort of like a shell.

I used McCalls 2390 (one of the patterns from the free batch I received) from the 1960s, a vintage thrifted double-knit and buttons from G Street Fabrics.

The total cost for the dress was about $4.

I did make a few changes to the pattern. I altered the neckline, added a bit of width to the hips, and shortened the hemline.

If you are interested in more information or pictures (plus close-up photos of a cute turtle), please see this post. Thanks for looking!

Continue Reading

1960s

1960’s Tent Dress

By on March 24, 2012

Hey everyone! Hope you are enjoying your weekends. This is my last completed project: a 60’s tent dress made from Simplicity 7203. My friend gave me a stack of vintage patterns she didn’t know what to do with and this was one of them. I had also just brought home an amazing fabric score from a Kijiji find and thought this cornflower blue crepe would be a good match. The pattern did not call for one but I added a lilac lining because wool needs it I think.

It was a really simple dress to make, and I love the silhouette and cut. You can read more about it at my blog.

I also recently wrote a post on the magic of a flattering vintage swimsuit, with some great inspiration photos and how I’m going to try and recreate the classic Norma Kamali suit  here.

Continue Reading