I crafted this dress (named after my Great Grandmom) with the help of one of my first Patterns From The Past purchases: McCall 4890 circa 1942!
I was immediately drawn to the military-esque triangular shape of ’40s tops but was unsure how they would look on my very ’50s hourglass figure. I reeeeeally don’t enjoy emphasizing my hips, and had never made a dress that wasn’t uber fitted at the waist.
The Sew For Victory challenge really did inspire me in this way, and I decided to give it a go. I actually LOVE the drape of the loose-fitting waist, especially since I used a light linen. I placed the fitted skirt yoke just high enough on my hips to show that I’m not actually that wide, so I think it did turn out fairly flattering.
For more details on how I made this, check out my blog!
The Kindergarten that my children attended is turning 75 this year and the director of the kindy has asked me to sew some clothes that the children might have worn when it opened in 1937. These will be worn by children at a street parade in our city in May. I thought it might be fun to have them dressed in sepia type colours (representing the ‘Then’), as they will be leading the rest of the kindy (dressed brightly, representing the ‘Now’)
So far I have sewn: Du Barry 1235B
and McCall 6179
Little boy’s trousers are surprisingly complex – these have a little fly opening at the c/f, but actually have the closures (to get in and out of them) at the sides. I am looking forward to doing some other styles of these trousers to see if the other pattern companies instructions are less confusing.
Two down, only a couple more to go…..
Because this approaching weekend is the LA Air Raid, I thought I’d offer up some early pre-war time fashions from 1940.
I did a bit of a stash rearrange recently and found I had the perfect light brown (with white polka dots) fabric to make up McCall 957.
Rather than choose the colouring of the main illustration on the pattern as a guide, I opted forthe more obscure white apron with blue check in the background.
All was going swimmingly until I went shopping for blue ric-rac today and discovered that I could only get a dark or a light blue – and I didn’t really care for either. So here my little apron project has stalled for the time being (with a mental note to gather supplies prior to cutting out and sewing) without a roof on my doghouse.
Of course, I did also have enough red and white striped fabric to complete both his and hers, and the fabric shop had loads of red ric-rac, so when I finally crawl out of my little self inflicted dog house, I might have another go at actually finishing a pair of these aprons.