This 1970s Maudella pattern (5800) was a joy to make. The instructions were really straightforward and it took just one (rainy) afternoon to make up.
I did cheat with the fastenings, the cross-over straps are supposed to have buttonholes but I’m never made any before so I cheated and used press studs – but if my talented sewing friend has time off soon I ‘ll ask for a tutorial and finish it off properly.
The groovy paisley print 1960s fabric was given to me.
Happily, we had a warm day yesterday so I was able to wear it.
The blue top but printy...
And matching ribbon around the arm holes....
Hi, I have just an hour or so ago finished this top. It is a Maudella 5123 from I think the 50′s (?) Anyway I thought it would only take a couple of sewing sessions and it did because I Cheated! It was supposed to have a side zip and I tacked one in then unpicked it and stitched up the side seam beacause I could fit the top on over my head. It was also supossed to have short sleeves but I didn’t put them in because I decided I liked it without, and it was supposed to have a neck facing which I left out because I was feeling too lazy to put it in and just made a very small hem instead! The other thing I cheated on was the bust size I was going to be really good and alter the pattern using a method I had just learnt of… http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/sewing-general/sewing-and-quilting-questions-answers%E2%80%94choosing-the-right-sewing-pattern-size/
But instead I just stitched in another dart. The pattern pieces were only marked with dots and the instructions were rather sparse.The material I chose … I had never really been a fan of animal prints, avoiding them feeling they were a bit busty, blousy barmaid for me (visions of Bet Lynch!) Anyway recently they have been growing on me (not literally!) and so I bought this one and Suprise I l.ike it and think it actually looks rather fetching on me!
I have put more pictures on my blog, here… http://buttonbunny.blogspot.co.uk/