1940s | Dresses | Jumpers / Pinafores

1940s Mail Order 2082, Jumper with Heart Pockets

By on July 19, 2013
1940s jumper dress pattern

I’m still plowing on with my attempt to have a completely wearable 1940s wardrobe – either by buying or making the outfits I want need.

And the latest gap to be filled – a 1940’s jumper dress!

1940s jumper dress pattern

The pattern is Mail Order 2082, and I (hesitantly) used the sweetheart neckline version, with heart patch pockets.

mail order 2082 sewing pattern 1940s jumper dress



















I was a bit unsure about the almost ‘twee’ detailing – I like feminine clothes but this is really femme! Heart pockets?

I think using navy gaberdine, a tough tailored fabric with this girlish pattern was a good match and the style is balanced in the middle.

Surprisingly, the pattern fitted really well with minimal adjustments. Normally I’ll have to fiddle with the armhole depth, waist height, dart placement – but not this time. Minimal amount of mods, listed on my blog.

bakelite 1940s
Sorry for the cat hair! I had to wrestle with my kitty before this photo...

















The blouse is Smooth Sailing from Wearing History (my favourite shirt pattern), made from deco-print quilters cotton with vintage celluloid buttons.

One more photo because I’m so happy with how this has turned out!

Continue Reading

1930s | Blouses

mail order 1769: thoughts on using really old patterns with no directions

By on October 22, 2011

honest-to-goodness, one of my first vintage pattern purchases. call it one of the first 10. there’s so much to love here, from the classic skirt to that gorgeous top with the ties to the little capelet. what really captured my fancy? the idea of styling it with little slouchy socks and loafers. weird, right?

i traced the pattern. poorly, because like so many vintage patterns, the directions are almost nonexistent and i didn’t quite understand the way the pattern might fit together. the pattern has 3/8″ seam allowances, and that threw me off. it has an interesting center strip of fabric that seems to serve no purpose other than being decorative going down the front, and no directions on where, when or how to attach it during construction. the ties for the bow offer no guidance on whether they should be faced, finished with bias tape or given a narrow hem.

i attached the center stripe incorrectly and ended up with 2″ extra ease on each side, even though i had made a muslin. i was incredibly confused and actually had someone re-fit it for me so that i wouldn’t cry and leave it on the UFO pile. also, the back ripped after a few wearings–probably because it didn’t appreciate my lack of reinforcement on the slight dip in the center back of the blouse. hence, this (as worn and styled today, not my original construction of 18 months ago):

i think it’s pretty fun:

other variations have followed. somehow, though, i can’t quite fix the fitting issues i have on this blouse. i always need to add an extra take-in on the side seams, almost like an extra dart, as you can see here, where i forgot to add them in my joy of being finished:

but you can also see how much i have perfected my construction and finishing of the blouse–look at how nice those ties tie.

and i’ve finally started to embrace that center stripe and have some fun with it.

meanwhile, you can see i have yet to style it with the long, thin skirt, slouchy socks and loafers.¬† maybe this year…

full post at puu’s door of time.

Continue Reading