New robe, 1954 style

By on March 29, 2015

I made a new robe using a Lutterloh pattern from 1954. In the book, it is described as “a decorated robe for the spoiled taste” (my book is the Dutch version, I’m translating literally here). It is also my second make for this year’s Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge.

zwaaienThe fabric I used is a bright blue cotton jersey/sweatshirt fabric which has just a little bit of stretch. The nature of the fabric allowed me to fit the waist piece at the side seams instead of making darts like the pattern suggests.

plaatjeBecause the skirt and upper bodice are wide and connected to the waist piece with gathers, it was fairly easy to fit this thing as I went along.

I made a simple neckline facing instead of a frilly trim and used fusible interfacing for knits on all facings. My robe closes with jersey snaps rather than with buttons and I put them only in waist piece (like in the illustration) although on the pattern there are button positions marked on the top part of the skirt as well.

zij:voorI’m happy with the result. It’s a very different look for a robe but I enjoy the drama of that big skirt and it is really comfortable.

As usual, you can read more about it on my blog.

Continue Reading

1950s | Blouses | Dresses | Skirts | Vintage Sewing

50ies with an Asian touch

By on

More or less ten years ago, my father gave me a Shalvar Kameez when he came back from a trip to Pakistan. Unfortunately it wasn’t my size and due to the lack of opportunities to wear such a garment in central Europe, altering it wasn’t ranging very high on my schedule.

When Tuppence Ha’Penny published a post on 50ies dresses inspired by┬áindian Saris, I knew what I wanted my Shalwar Kameez to become.

But it took me until this year to finally start this project. I chose a 1955/6 Lutterloh-pattern, a blouse with a matching skirt. It fit without any alterations, I only changed the cut of the skirt a little, using the dupatta, the scarf, as a ruched bottom, the pattern was meant to be plain without the ruffled layer.

Waistband and collar are lined with fusible interfacing, the cotton fabric is very soft and not stiff enough without.

The blouse was made from the top (the kameez), the facings and the top part of the skirt from the trousers (the shalwar), the ruche as mentioned was the dupatta.

The fact that it consists of two parts enables me to wear it as seperates as well, I can well imagine the skirt with a plain white blouse or the blouse with high-waisted jeans.

To see more photos, including one “before”-pic, have a look at my blog, Parva sed apta.

Thank you for your attention,


Continue Reading