lolita

This dress is not based on an actual vintage pattern but I still had a very “vintage” look in mind. After I recently found out how much I enjoy to more consciously “design” my sewing projects I decided to approach my next project in a different way, more or less without a fixed pattern and with lots of time to come up with my own ideas. In the last weeks I sewed my christmas dress with these principles in mind – and it was so much fun! I had bought the lilac wool last spring and combined it with different ribbons and pieces of lace. The skirt is based on my usual beloved dirndl “pattern” but I added a horizontal pleated part. Back and front are decorated with the same ribbons but in a different manner. For the cape I used Sew Vera Venus wonderful free mini cape pattern. I used a light iron-on interfacing and added lace to the collar and the seams. Both the skirt and the cape are lined with a cream colored fabric, I usually skip this part but it feels quite luxurious. The cape’s buttons are closed with a simple frog fastening (is this the correct term? I am referring to this kind of closure.), I made it with a piece of ribbon from the skirts back. I finally made a headband from a leftover wool  scrap and adorned it with another piece of ribbon. As a result I will look like a vintage Lolita/Alice on christmas eve – not the worst thing that could have happened I guess? Anyway – I wish you a very happy christmas and am curious to see more christmas dresses appearing here in the next two weeks (-:

You can find a few more pictures are on my blog, Draped in Cloudlets.

{ 7 comments }

The cold season has finally arrived here in Germany – it was less then 10 degrees celsius today and my favorite ice-cream parlor closed for this year, both makes me kind of sad. There is only one advantage of this weather: I finally got around to sewing again in the last days and made a new skirt. I got the olive-grey coloured fabric from my 80 year old colleague at work (she told me that it is a curtain from the 70s) and had a very clear idea what I would like to do with it, but the first version I made was pretty disappointing: the wide pleats that I had made draped not very well, the two large, lace covered pockets looked stuffy and the skirt had a strange length. I undid everything, gathered the fabric instead of pleating it and added a border of a somewhat strange, semi-transparent fabric to the hem. This was already much better but there was still something missing, I did a quick image search for the terms skirt, steampunk and lolita and found the solution – trims and bows! I have always adored baroque and abundant styles but strangely never thought about this concept in regard of my sewing projects and I am so happy that I finally did. I toned down the look a bit with some vintage items and wore it today with a traditional bavarian blazer (I would love to be able to sew things like this!), leather gloves and a vintage scarf with, well, bows (-:

You can find a few more pictures on my blog, Draped in Cloudlets.

{ 4 comments }