Le-Roy patterns


I caught the sewing bug four years ago and never looked back. Entirely self-taught I regularly trawl charity shops, flea markets, car boot sales and jumbles for vintage 1960s and 1970s patterns, notions, fabrics and thread. To this day I’ve yet to buy anything new.


This culotte suit suit was made following a 1960s Le-Roy pattern sent to me by a blogging friend and the groovy sunflower screen-print curtains by Francis Price were found in a neighbour’s loft. I couldn’t decide which buttons from my stash to use so I had a go at covering my own.


I was surprised how simple this pattern was to make. It took a few hours sewing over a quiet weekend and I’m seriously tempted to knock up a couple more if I can find suitably bright and funky curtains.

{ 12 comments }

A while ago I bought some great printed cotton from Abakhan Fabrics in Manchester, where you can pick up some great off cuts by the kilo.

It’s been sitting around in a pile of fabric since February, while I worked out what to do with it. Then I found this pattern in my hoard:

I’ve always liked shirt dresses, and I thought the combination of this design and the great print would make a cute summer dress.

I gave the fabric a quick wash (don’t want any shrinking!) and did a few adjustments to the size, as my bust is larger than the pattern measurement. I also decided to add a few details of my own in the form of a black contrasting collar, and a little black cuff on the sleeve.

Here’s the finished article:

The dress was pretty straight forward to put together, and the adjustments I made worked well, resulting in a pretty good fit.

Here are some details:

Close up of the cuffs

 

I lined the skirt with a light cotton, and hand stitched it around the button placket

And that’s that!

See you soon!

{ 14 comments }