knitting

Blue and Green

by Starspangledheart on February 19, 2014 · 4 comments

in 1940s,Skirts

I’ve been sewing and knitting again and have added two new basics to my wardrobe.

The skirt is made from green twill and McCall’s 7032.

The sweater vest is a sports vest made from a 40s pattern in A Stitch in Time Vol. 2. It was quite fun to knit up.

I also opted to wear a new vintage hat with this outfit! I just adore hats even if I’m not much into millinery.

Who else here enjoys vintage knitting along with vintage sewing?

More details on the blog: http://star-spangledheart.blogspot.com/2014/02/back-to-basics.html

{ 4 comments }

I know we’re  mostly supposed to just post about sewing here on We Sew Retro, but I have seen a few gorgeous knitting projects pop up from time to time and I’m so proud of the first knitted garment I’ve ever made, that I couldn’t help but post it here. While we’re only one month into 2014, I think it’s safe to say that my Navy Miette will probably be the garment I’ll be most proud of in 2014. It’s wearable, comfortable, warm, soft and, if you don’t mind me saying so, it’s DARN (yarn?) CUTE!

Navy Miette worn with my Christmas Anna Dress

My Miette is in no way perfect. There are places where I lost count, couldn’t remember what row I got up to or dropped stitches. There was even that time I knit my first sleeve on the wrong sized needle and I didn’t have the heart to frog it so knit my second sleeve on the wrong size as well so that they would at least match…um, yeah. I also probably should have knit up a size larger in the bust – it’s not a major issue fit wise, but the shaping around the bust stretches a little too much for my liking. I guess figuring out negative-ease comes with time.

The only major thing I changed was to add 30 extra rows to the sleeves to make them longer and therefore more winter appropriate. I found that if I stopped where the instructions told me too then the sleeves would have been a weird length on me – too short for bracelet length, but too long for short sleeves – and I probably wouldn’t have ended up wearing it.
I also opted to leave out the buttonholes in the pattern instructions. Instead, I hand-sewed on navy grosgrain ribbon to the back of each button band before doing them by machine. In hindsight, I’m not sure I’d do it this way again, but it works for this cardigan and I’m happy with how they turned out.
For more pictures and information about my Miette, you can pop over to my blog or Ravelry note page.
Do any of you knit as well?
xx
Jen

{ 16 comments }

My holiday sweater ;)

by Lauriana on January 3, 2014 · 5 comments

in 1950s

I can’t believe how much time I spent on this sweater! At some point during knitting, I had good hopes of finishing it before Christmas…

This is the second real garment I’ve made on my old knitting machine. Again, it’s based on a pattern from the 1950′s (1957, to be precise) and this one was written especially for knitting machines.

Which is why that yoke is made from ten separate pieces. I could see the potential of the sweater but I didn’t like the design on the yoke, so I decided to play around with the knitting machine’s fair isle option instead. I made my own fair isle design, adapted to the shape of those yoke pieces.

Knitting them was a bit of a learning curve (my apologies for the blurry picture, it was already getting dark again and the camera flash doesn’t like black surfaces). I think I got the hang of it about half way through.

And all the rib bits were  a bit of an issue because mine a single bed knitting machine (you need a double bed for rib knit). In the end, I used the fake rib suggested in the manual.

Sewing together all those pieces was quite time-consuming as well. I finally finished the sweater on 1 January.

It’s really comfortable and I’m particularly proud of how my fair isle design on the yoke turned out.

I blogged about the work-in-progress here and about the finished article here.

{ 5 comments }

V for Victory!

by Bex on September 22, 2013 · 11 comments

in 1940s,Mildly Insane Photo

I know it’s not technically sewing, but I thought some of you might like to see my finished 1940′s victory jumper…

The pattern is Patons 876, and was really enjoyable to knit!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘Victory’ clothing was worn either before the War (WWII) ended to show support for the troops - or after, to celebrate the ‘Victory’ of War ending.

The skirt is made from Simplicity 3688 (1940s re-issue) using navy gaberdine – it’s actually my favourite suspender skirt with the suspenders removed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was abit touch and go with working out how much yarn I needed to make this – in the end it only took four balls of light grey, just over one ball of charcoal and half a ball of red.  Even though I love the jumper to death it’s not something I would make again – it’s very distinctive!

The full story and technical info is on my blog if anyone’s curious.

x

Bex

 

{ 11 comments }