I’m still plowing on with my attempt to have a completely wearable 1940s wardrobe – either by buying or making the outfits I
And the latest gap to be filled – a 1940′s jumper dress!
The pattern is Mail Order 2082, and I (hesitantly) used the sweetheart neckline version, with heart patch pockets.
I was a bit unsure about the almost ‘twee’ detailing – I like feminine clothes but this is really femme! Heart pockets?
I think using navy gaberdine, a tough tailored fabric with this girlish pattern was a good match and the style is balanced in the middle.
Surprisingly, the pattern fitted really well with minimal adjustments. Normally I’ll have to fiddle with the armhole depth, waist height, dart placement – but not this time. Minimal amount of mods, listed on my blog.
Sorry for the cat hair! I had to wrestle with my kitty before this photo...
The blouse is Smooth Sailing from Wearing History (my favourite shirt pattern), made from deco-print quilters cotton with vintage celluloid buttons.
One more photo because I’m so happy with how this has turned out!
I chose View A on the right.
Simplicity 3673 is a pattern I picked up because of its retro styling. I loved the idea of a jumper, but decided to just wear it as a dress once I finished it. This was one of the easiest patterns I have ever sewn, and I am beyond pleased with how it turned out- it looks just like the envelope images.
This dress is of a style I have wanted to wear for a long time, but wasn’t able to try until I had lost a lot of weight, and I’m happy to say I love it!
I used some deep wine cotton broadcloth I had in my stash or some time, making this a great $15 dress. I love when I get something so good for such a small investment!
I followed the directions almost all the way through, and only made one small change to the dress, and that was to add a large button to the center of the faux bow on the front.
Stop by my sewing blog here and see more photos of the dress.
Excuse my wrinkles, please!
This deceptively easy child’s pinafore still required some swear words and a go with the quick unpick to finish.
I let my little girl (aged nearly 4) pick out the fabric from my stash, some sort of cotton, only 1 yard needed. Of course, she wouldn’t model the finished dress, so here is a photo before it was finished when I was just seeing how much to hem it by.
What I really like about this pattern is that I am myself a child of the 70s and I know I wore this sort of thing myself……