Gingham

self-drafted retro check top

This top is the result of a pattern-drafting class I took recently. The fit isn’t great but it’s one step in the right direction.

I gleaned the design from a 1950s pattern envelope but totally drafted all the pieces myself.

self-drafted retro top

It has a zipper up the left side in true vintage style and is fitted at the waist so I can wear it tucked into a high waist pencil skirt.

I created facings for the armholes and neckline. I wasn’t sure how to do it in one piece what with the rolled over bias collar and all. But its no big shakes. I just tacked the sleeve facings to the neck facing with a couple of stitches on the shoulder line. If I did it again, I might consider using a bias finish on the armhole to save on bulk.

self-drafted retro top

The fit still needs working on. It really is a bit big under bust. But it’s certainly wearable and it feels great to wear an original ooobop!

More deets and pics over on the blog.

{ 5 comments }

simplicity 2195

I don’t often get chance to partake in sewing challenges. My own personal sewing list is long enough and even that is jeopardised by work and small people! But this blouse had a decent deadline and an exciting date to wear the finished shirt to. A bowling date with some really cool bloggers at London’s Bloomsbury Lanes!

simplicity 2195

It’s not strictly a bowling shirt, as you can no doubt see, but with a bit of black piping on the yoke and a hand embroidered monogram, it was the best I could find. And I wasn’t unhappy with it! It works as a day shirt too and sits great with a half circle skirt and my favourite boots, for a lunch date with the Mister!

simplicity 2195 vintage blouse

I did an FBA but other than that it was a very simple make and I am so going to make a gingham one to match the pic on the cover of the pattern.

simplicity 2195

More details over at ooobop!

{ 3 comments }

I started this project nearly a year ago, hit a bit of a roadblock on account of ah, not quite know what I was doing!  I figured I’d just use the bodice from one pattern the skirt from another and well just put them together…  I made some adjustments, to accommodate the differences, but it was (not surprisingly) not quite so simple.

But this week, I tackled it, finished it, and I love it!  I have more photos on my blog, where I talk a bit more about this crazy project.  It’s looking like it will be a hot summer this year, while many of you are preparing for winter, I’m another sewer planning summer dresses.

 

 

{ 11 comments }

I decided to break out of the my usual mid-century sewing and try something from the 1930′s. This pattern was a free download from Sew Vera Venus; after a bit of tweaking with the fit, it went together like a dream.

Here’s some details:

I used a light cotton with berries and flowers on a black and white gingham background, perfect for summer:

Fabric detail

The sleeves are super floaty and cut as a large circle. I couldn’t get it across in the photos, though; this is the best I could do:

flared sleeve

The skirt is cut on the bias, with a flared piece attached at the bottom. The dress moves and drapes with you, making it feel very dreamy and romantic! I didn’t want to ruin it all with a horrible zip, so I decided to use a side button placket. I even managed to find some little mother of pearl flowers that matched the fabric:

Close up of the button placket

And it’s all finished off at the back with a little belt, which I just tied in a simple bow:

And that’s it! One final look, and I’ll see you soon!

{ 10 comments }