costume

 

This is my Halloween costume, I’m McCall’s 6351, view A from 1962! This was super easy to do and perfect for the vintage sewing lovers out there!  Come Read all about it over at my blog: Erika Made It

{ 9 comments }

poison Ivy outfitI made a capelet for my daughter’s halloween costume… better late than never, hey?!

Poison Ivy was a fictional character, enemy of Batman, created by DC Comics. She made her debut appearance in 1966.

It was a very quick and easy project, self-drafted using the formula for a circle skirt with the addition of a ruffle on a collar stand.

poison ivy back

I used a weighty green polyester satin for the self and a polyester satin lining in red for the inside.

The only difficulty I had was sewing two very shiny fabrics together…nightmare!

I forgot to enclose the ribbon ties in the collar stand so I used a couple of glitzy buttons to hide the ends of the ribbon which were sewn to the right side!

poison ivy capelet

She was very happy with the result and she looked amazing with the whole ensemble! I just feel very old!!

poison ivy costume

I have included a ‘how-to‘ on my blog, just in case you fancy making one! ;-)

{ 3 comments }

Belle of the Ball

by BeataKhaidurova on September 16, 2012 · 4 comments

in 1950s,Dresses

This weekend, my dance club had their annual ball, and the theme was animated characters. Of course, I had to go as a Disney princess, and decided on Belle from “Beauty and the Beast” since her colouring is most similar to mine! However, I’ve never been a fan of her iconic yellow ballgown, so I decided to recreate her everyday outfit:

Screenshot from YouTube, click for clip

I made the dress and apron, but the blouse was just something I already had. Unfortunately I was running late so didn’t get too many pictures!!

Here are the facts:

Fabric: 2 second hand bed sheets (~$1)
Pattern: Dress pattern 8736 from March 1956 Australian Home Journal. No pattern for apron.
Features: The dress has back, waist and bust darts, a round neckline, a gathered skirt and a side zip. The apron is simply a gathered piece on a waistband.
Alterations: The dress pattern was for a 36″ bust. I cut it out without adding seam allowances, but added around an inch to the bodice, and cut the straps super long, so I could adjust them before sewing to the right length. I sewed the straps together instead of making the button closure. I ended up taking in the side seams about 2 inches at the bust, tapering to an inch at the waist.
Notions: 1 zipper (~10c)
Total price: ~$1.10

Yes, I am wearing slippers……

More on my blog!

{ 4 comments }

Daphne from Scooby Doo dressMy daughter was invited to a ‘Scooby Doo’ party and she wanted to go as Daphne! To be honest, I’m glad she didn’t want to be Scooby!

I used a long sleeve T-shirt pattern from an old Burda Style Magazine, issue 10/2010, making a few adjustments: I changed the button placket to a v-neck, I shortened the sleeves, I lengthened the top to a dress, shaping it a little from the waist, and added some bias trim for a touch of authenticity! The fabric was just over a metre of cotton stretch jersey and that included a hairband too. The scarf is half a metre of lime green polyester. A little light relief from some of the more complex vintage patterns I’ve been playing with. In fact… quite fancy one of these myself!! Also blogged over at ooobop!

 

 

{ 13 comments }