colette

Since participating in Me-Made-May, my sewing focus has shifted to wearable, comfortable clothing with a vintage vibe, rather than the full-on vintage look that I absolutely love, but rarely wear. In the past couple weeks, I’ve made three knit Moneta dresses, and I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say that it’s my new favourite dress pattern!

This is my second version of this dress, and I modified it to look like a knit version of this 60′s dress:

To do this, I raised the neckline to a boatneck, moved the gathers to the side of the skirt only, and lengthened the skirt. In retrospect, I should have made the back neckline into a V-neck, and widened the shoulders a little, to match the 60′s dress. Maybe next time!

I used a floral viscose jersey, and lined the bodice with and off-white bamboo jersey. I’m reasonably happy with the fit, although the armholes are a little big and the bodice is still a little long (I shortened it 1 1/4″ for this version). I hemmed it with a stretch blind hem, rather than the recommended twin needle, and I think that it turned out quite well!

Overall, though, I’m really happy with it! I’ve worn it lots as a casual day dress, and I also wore it to my high school graduation ceremony, under the ridiculous gown that you have to wear. For more details and photos, see my blog post, and for even more photos, see my flickr. If you’re interested, you can see my first Moneta dress here, a simple green one with a tie collar.

Thanks for reading!

{ 7 comments }

Hello again! It’s been a while since my first post here, but I’ve been busy sewing and I just finished something that I think is vintage-looking enough that I can post it here… the Colette Ceylon dress! I was looking for a genuine 1940′s pattern to make, but didn’t find what I was looking for so I figured that a 40′s-style modern pattern would have to do.

I made this up in a a lightweight wool that I bought at a local discount fabric store. It’s 100% wool, so it’s quite warm, and aside from fraying like mad, was lovely to work with.

I had to size down the pattern, but other than that I made very few changes – just adjusting the shoulders and the shape of the back yoke.

I tired lots of new techniques, such as covered buttons and buttonholes (in retrospect, it might have been a better idea to start with a button-down blouse rather than a project that required 16 buttons and buttonholes, but this seemed like a good idea at the time. Ah well, it all worked out nicely in the end).

In case you’re wondering, the actual colour is somewhere in between the colour in the pictures of me wearing it and the flat picture. It’s not quite as dark as it looks in the photos of me wearing it, but it’s not quite as purple as the flat photo.

I’m really happy with how this dress turned out. For more details, including the facepalm-worthy story of why I have one too many buttonholes, have a look at the full post on my blog. Thanks for reading!

{ 12 comments }

 

I wanted a very easy-to-wear dress and I was lazy to add a zipper to this firt try on Peony from Colette Patterns. So I went for this piece of knit fabric. I really felt in love with theses large scale flowers…

A detailed view of this project can be found on Cafekam’s blog

It’s only tuesday but you’ll be fine. Have a nice day !

Camille

{ 5 comments }

I picked up this beautiful fabric as my souvenir from MOOD while I was visiting L.A. I was really concerned I was going the fudge up the whole thing once I got to the button holes, but everything went way better than I had expected!

I think if I make this dress again I would need a small FBA, and adding a few inches to overall length. I don’t do above the knee very often, and it just feels kind of weird! If you want to see more photos or read more about what I thought once completing this dress, Check out my blog!

{ 8 comments }