1950s | 1960s | Dresses

Retro Nautical Inspired Moneta Dress

By on May 4, 2017
Akram's Ideas: The Moneta Dress an Astonishingly Quick Make

I recently took part in the #MonetaParty hosted by the Triple Stitchers made up of Rachel, Abigal, and Elle . The idea was that all participants sew up the Moneta dress by Colette patterns and share their makes on Instagram.

Retro Additions

At first, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to participate after all the Moneta dress is just a simple knit dress.

However, I after exploring Colette patterns website I found a free collar extension pack for this pattern. The collar variations really added to this dress.

Akram's Ideas: The Moneta Dress an Astonishingly Quick Make

 

I was especially taken by the tie collar and how it gave the dress a bit of a retro nautical inspired look.

Along with the tie collar, I also made the largest size skirt and then gathered it. It gave the skirt a much fuller look than the more relaxed fit of the original dress.

Akram's Ideas: The Moneta Dress an Astonishingly Quick Make

The length of the skirt I cut as directed, but I’m short so I feel like it seems longer to me than most of the Moneta’s that I see online.

With that said, the fuller skirt and longer length also help to give this dress more retro appeal.

Simple Make

Akram's Ideas: The Moneta Dress an Astonishingly Quick Make

The Moneta dress is so easy to make and I managed to sew it up in around 4 hours.

While it might be simple, a few additions really give this dress the retro style I love.

For full details about making this dress  be sure to see my full blog post at http://akramsideas.com/moneta-dress/

Continue Reading

1950s | Blouses | Vintage Sewing

Sencha in Cream and Stripes

By on June 25, 2013

Hi, I’m here to share my newest creation- my first Sencha blouse from Colette patterns! I love the gorgeous vintage style of this one and I’ve been wanting to make my own for a while!

I made it in a cream-colored synthetic fabric (I’m not sure exactly what it is) and I finished the top and bottom with self-made bias tape (which I also used for the tie). I made a couple of slight modifications- adding a little bit of width at the hips and adding about 1.5 inches to the length (so as to be more conducive to wearing it with pants). I used some black vintage buttons from my stash for the back closure.

I tried tucking it into my black skirt and I think I really prefer the look of it tucked in. All in all, I’m really happy with the project and it was quite easy to sew up (even with the bias tape!).

Thanks for checking out my project! Check out my post on this project for more info and pictures on my blog, Mint Green Sewing Machine!

-Melissa

Continue Reading