chevrons

This dress was made from a re-released vintage Butterick pattern (#5605). I used a white and kelly green stripe cotton and wanted to play with the placement of the stripes. I made a chevron at the bust, placed stripes horizontally on the side gussets and tried to run the stripes vertically on the circle skirt, which resulted in some more chevrons.

I love vintage patterns but sometimes it’s fun to make them a little more modern by modifiying them. I shortened the sleeves and skirt and adding a matching exposed zipper. It doesn’t read as a 50′s design to me anymore but I like the result. I don’t think I love anything I’ve ever made as much as I love this dress. It’s so perfect for the summer and I feel like magic happens whenever I wear it.

This dress was a challenge to assemble – I have more info, photos and links of the resources I used to make it at my blog here.

 

{ 16 comments }