chambray

Hi friends! I wanted to share this project today that I made over a year ago. It’s a shirt dress I made as a project in a sewing class I took at my local community college. I based it on this 1940′s dress pattern in my collection, though I didn’t use the actual pattern:

As you can see, the envelope is in pretty rough shape! I fell in love with the cute diamond-shaped pocket detail.

The fabric is a gray cotton chambray. I also did some topstitching in yellow! For more pictures and info, check out my post here on my blog, Scavenger Hunt.

       Happy Wednesday!

                    -Melissa

 

{ 8 comments }

I made this dress for the Sew for Victory sew along challenge, hosted by Rochelle from Lucky Lucille.

I used a vintage pattern from the 1940s, Simplicity 4036. I had to make a lot of alterations to the pattern (it was two sizes too big and I always have a lot of fit issues anyway), but I’d say it was worth it.

The fabric is a vintage chambray that I picked up at a thrift store a while back for about $2. I made the buttons and the belt, using material I had left over from a previous reconstruction. It has little red cherries with navy and light blue stems and leaves.

If you’re interested, you can read more about it here.

{ 13 comments }

I was recently asked to participate in a Simplicity Blog Hop, and chose 1913 as my first dress to stitch up and blog about. After a few false starts, from being unable to find my desired fabric to receiving the list of other participants and trying to predict their tastes (nobody wants to show up to the prom with the same dress!), I finally settled on this chambray. I recently confiscated it from my mom’s stash, along with the red bias tape, the turquoise metal zip (hand-picked), and the Yale blue lace hem tape (also hand-stitched). The only non-vintage item in this dress is the thread and hook (I’m going to re-work the thread bar, as it’s too large). I like to call the Project Runway line “choose your own adventure” patterns, because they include lots of variations & details you can throw at ’em. In the end, I simply went with the collar and added piping.

You can read more about my adventures in fitting this dress over on my blog. Lampoon, it was. Let’s just say that I think I’ve finally learned how to properly fit my curvy back. And to get armholes up where I prefer them to be. The first version was almost rude.

{ 4 comments }