ceylon

Hello again! It’s been a while since my first post here, but I’ve been busy sewing and I just finished something that I think is vintage-looking enough that I can post it here… the Colette Ceylon dress! I was looking for a genuine 1940′s pattern to make, but didn’t find what I was looking for so I figured that a 40′s-style modern pattern would have to do.

I made this up in a a lightweight wool that I bought at a local discount fabric store. It’s 100% wool, so it’s quite warm, and aside from fraying like mad, was lovely to work with.

I had to size down the pattern, but other than that I made very few changes – just adjusting the shoulders and the shape of the back yoke.

I tired lots of new techniques, such as covered buttons and buttonholes (in retrospect, it might have been a better idea to start with a button-down blouse rather than a project that required 16 buttons and buttonholes, but this seemed like a good idea at the time. Ah well, it all worked out nicely in the end).

In case you’re wondering, the actual colour is somewhere in between the colour in the pictures of me wearing it and the flat picture. It’s not quite as dark as it looks in the photos of me wearing it, but it’s not quite as purple as the flat photo.

I’m really happy with how this dress turned out. For more details, including the facepalm-worthy story of why I have one too many buttonholes, have a look at the full post on my blog. Thanks for reading!

{ 12 comments }